Aching legs after Holiday...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
Just came back off my holidays and so been off the bike for 2 weeks.
Went on the bike this morning and did 18 miles and really struggled, l normally do 25 miles no problem but this morning my legs/thighs were really aching 18 miles were enough..
l usually ride in 4th gear and use the big sprocket on the front but had to use a easy gear ...
Should l have started back on the bike with shorter rides .
Is this common after such a short stay off the bike for the legs to ache so much..
Advice please bikers........

Pauluk

It may just be just a coincidence or more likely may be you are just tired after your holiday. Some days on my commute I struggle more than usual for no apparent reason (lower gear, aching legs etc). The next day I've been fine. :smile:

I just put it down to tiredness, but it could be that I'm not as young as I was of course. :sad:

OP
OP
R

ray316

Über Member
It may just be just a coincidence or more likely may be you are just tired after your holiday. Some days on my commute I struggle more than usual for no apparent reason (lower gear, aching legs etc). The next day I've been fine. :smile:

I just put it down to tiredness, but it could be that I'm not as young as I was of course. :sad:
l don't think it's just tiredness from my holiday as l've been back home for 5 days but today was the first time l went on the bike..
My legs don't usually ache like they did today and tonight they still ache abit.......
So do l go on a long ride tomorrow or go for short 10 mile rides for a week or two...

Pauluk

Well you've just done 18 miles, so let your legs recover then try it again. I wouldn't have though 2 weeks off the bike would have set you back that much, but then again 4th gear in the top front gear is some going. Do you mash the gears (working your legs hard) or is your cadence quite high? It would be good if this was somewhere in the 80 or 90 rpm as its less tiring on the legs. What is your time for your 25 milers?

By all means try it slower by doing a couple of ten milers, trying a higher cadence, but I think you'll be ok fairly quickly. I wouldn't worry too much.

Top Bottom