Aching Legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattStoke

A bit of advice please, being a Cycling Commuter for 2 years all weather's, I will add, and usually get out on a Sunday for a good run out. I recently purchased a new seat post and saddle.

After fitting these, I now find that my legs ache after a few inclines, this never happened before. Can anybody please tell me:

1. How high should my seat post be, when stood still my toes touch the ground.

2. Positioning the saddle, should it be slid forward, or backwards?

3. Tilting the saddle? thoughts?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

dudi

Hi Matt, the best way I've found to position your seat is this:

To get th height correct:
1) Measure your inside leg, stand with your shoes on, with a book jammed up into your crotch as far as it'll go, move towards the wall so that the edge of the book is flat against the wall. Measure the height from the top of the book.
2) multily to 109% (i.e, if your inside leg measurement is 31", your 109% is 33.8").
3) position your pedals at 12 & 6 o'clock
4) measure up your 109% measurement from the axle of the 6 o'clock pedal, this should be the height of the top centre of you saddle.

to get the fore/aft correct:
1) sit on the bike in your normal riding position and shoes.
2) get the pedals at 3 & 9 o'clock.
3) drop a plumb line from the centre of yor kneecap on the furthest forward knee. this should dissect the axle of your pedal.
4) adjust as required.

As for tilting the saddle, it is generally thought that a perfectly level saddle is best. however, it is a personal thing, experiment with it.

final test. go out and have a ride. see if it feels right for you.

Hope if helps,

Andy

Top Bottom