Acor Threadless Bottom Bracket unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
Chuffy - I recollect that Charlotte was waxing lyrical about a threadless BB a while ago as being the answers to her prayers ... (well, you know what I mean) - she may have some comments

Rob

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
robgul said:
Chuffy - I recollect that Charlotte was waxing lyrical about a threadless BB a while ago as being the answers to her prayers ... (well, you know what I mean) - she may have some comments
Rob
Hmmm, knowing Charlottenburg I'd have to know exactly what she was doing with it first. Sadly, being persona non grata on the place she hangs out I can't ask.

Ta though. Having looked at the thing I can't help but wonder how you avoid getting play in the damn thing as it rattles around inside the shell.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used one for awhile on my commuter bike (can't remember what make tho', it's the one Beyercyles have on they're website- I can't imagine it's been updated recently). It was OK, but it did tend to work itself loose- they need to be done up really tight. I used threadlock to keep it there after the first couple of times it worked loose.

It was a temporary measure for me, I eventually got another frame off ebay.

littlestwoo

Hi Chuffy,

How has the thread become stripped?

It is possible to restore the thread in your BB, what is the frame made of?

One solution could be braze which can then be re-cut, there are other things out there for such purposes, including alloys which use the braze principle.

I'm a member of www.mig-welding.co.uk, the guys on this forum are incredibly helpful and I'm quite shore would offer some very good advice, I'd suggest putting a post with pictures onto the forum and seeing what the responce is.

I don't think that the BB shell needs to be replaced, have you asked a frame builder about thread restoration? Probably a safer bet than the LBS anyway.

Steve

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
littlestwoo said:
Hi Chuffy,
How has the thread become stripped?
By the power of my legs. Possibly. Either that or the power of mongo when reassembling it.

It is possible to restore the thread in your BB, what is the frame made of?
He am steel. The chaps at the LBS have done their best to re-cut the threads but they're too far gone.

I don't think that the BB shell needs to be replaced, have you asked a frame builder about thread restoration? Probably a safer bet than the LBS anyway.
Ain't no frame builders near here. Nearest would probably be SJS or Argos. Replacing the BB shell with Argos would be the thick end of £100. I'm going to go with the threadless solution for the moment, the BB is about £13 so if it doesn't work then I won't have lost much. At the moment I don't really have the time or contacts to pursue the other options, although they may prove more effective in the long run. I'll certainly bear them in mind, Cheers for the advice, not a solution I've ever heard of before.
Chuffy

Top Bottom