Act of helpfulness in Barnsley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

Back OT - being Barnsley, consider yourself lucky he didn't twat you round the head with the track pump and nick your bike.

Bren

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
A few years back, when working in Gloucester (when they had roads and not floodplains, poor buggers) and living in Loughborough, the M5 was blocked due to RTA. So decided to take the 'backroads'.
On way up to Tewksbury passed a road cyclist pushing his bike with a flat,but didn't have me rucksack with me 'bike kit' on me, so I went up to the next junction and turned back, he'd had 3 flats in one day (unlucky sod !) and had got to push his bike to Evesham.
So I threw him in the front seat, his bike in the boot and took him to his door.
Does this make me a nice man ? Will I get brownie points when I'm ringing the bell at the Pearly Gates ? If not I'll be well miffed !

JamesAC

Pete said:
[big snip] but reverse the washer (for schraders) I will not. Don't want to lose or damage the washer on the road, you see! I just mutter a hurried excuse ("sorry mate, wrong sort of pump") and ride off. Am I very selfish?

Yes. Very.

A very small inconvenience for you, even in the unlikely event that you damage the washer. A huge inconvenience for a fellow cyclist (and fellow human being) who might be faced with a very long walk home.

On the other hand, we can all carry a hand-pump with the correct sort of connector for our bike.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
I might be missing the point a little here, but personally I never go anywhere on a bike without:
Tyre levers
Patches
Spare tube
Multitool
Pump
Surely if everyone was as great as me there would be no need for us to start talking about taking pumps and patches out in the car with them?:biggrin:

No, but if you were using a little hand pump, and someone stopped and offered you a track pump, it would make it easier...

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
Big Bren said:
Back OT - being Barnsley, consider yourself lucky he didn't twat you round the head with the track pump and nick your bike.

Though it would be tricky to run off with a touring bike with only the back wheel and fairly heavy panniers on the front.

Pete

JamesAC said:
Yes. Very.

A very small inconvenience for you, even in the unlikely event that you damage the washer. A huge inconvenience for a fellow cyclist (and fellow human being) who might be faced with a very long walk home.

On the other hand, we can all carry a hand-pump with the correct sort of connector for our bike.
Oh alright then...
But I still think Schrader valves should be BANNED, and anyone caught riding on the wretched things should be HUNG, DRAWN and QUARTERED and then spread out on the tarmac and run over many times with his own knobbly tyres and then run over again ..... and again.... (*mutter*) (*mutter*) :biggrin::evil::biggrin:

Actually I think that the last time I was asked for the loan of my pump was on CM, and looking at the state of the asker's bike I didn't like to get too close to him anyway, and in any case, considering the typical CM pace, he could easily walk the bloody thing the rest of the way round surely now couldn't he?...:smile:

Top Bottom