Action Camera suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shoxt3r

Hi all,

I've been wanting to get an action camera for some time now to help capture any evidence if I ever have any issues on a ride and also to post some videos of interest online. I tend to ride over fairly rough ground and also during low-light (say, 6-8pm throughout the year) so something which can cope with poor light and capture with good image stabilisation would be ideal.

I'm not really in the market for a GoPro (though I have seen some amazing second-hand deals on eBay - just not sure if they've been abused and would also not have any comeback if they were to fail after some time) and all the ones I've seen on Amazon are pretty average, GoPro knock-offs.

Essentially I'm also looking for a camera which will capture clear enough footage to be able to see number plates so that they can be reported if needed.
Ideal budget is around £150-200 as this is likely to be something for the Christmas wishlist.

The cheapest GoPro I've seen is about £280.00 which was a Hero 8 and didn't appear to have great reviews. I'm assuming they don't go for less than that in Black Friday sales etc.?

Any recommendations welcome - thanks in advance!

Alex321

Veteran
They may well go cheaper than that in Black Friday sales, particularly the older models such as the GoPro 8. Whether they will go as low as your £200 budget though is doubtful.

I have the basic GoPro Hero (no number), which I was given for my birthday a good few years ago now, and it has done me well. I normally have it mounted to my handlebars when I'm on the bike.

You can't get that any more (a pity because it was only about £100), but the GoPro 8 is better, the poor reviews are probably only really comparing it against the later models.

From my own experience (I can't remember but it was cheap) the camera was fine, it came with an extra battery which was very handy but the software to actually edit the footage was a piece of crap. It was impossibly slow and kept crashing.
To use other software meant converting the original video into another format. Time consuming.

Pay attention to the video formats used and pay attention to reviews of the software would be my advice.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
If you're on rough ground you really need to look for something with Go-Pro level image stabilising, if you can live with the short battery life.

I have a Drift Ghost XL which has great battery performance & catches number plates in low light fairly reliably, but it has no stabilisation.

The Drift Ghost XL Pro 4K comes with image stabilising, but it is £250.

To save a few quid, you could consider getting a used Go-Pro from CEX which has a limited 2 year warranty.

https://uk.support.webuy.com/suppor...here-a-warranty-on-items-that-i-buy-from-cex-

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
The cheapest GoPro I've seen is about £280.00 which was a Hero 8 and didn't appear to have great reviews. I'm assuming they don't go for less than that in Black Friday sales etc.?

I picked the Hero 10 black up for £320 ish from Go Pro's website. Now up to £349 but it's a great bit of kit.

If you're on rough ground you really need Go-Pro level image stabilising.

That's the reason I picked the Hero 10.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont think anything comes close to Gopro. When you look at the comparisons on YouTube. They improve every time they release one . Keep saving your money.

ianbarton

Veteran

Any recommendations welcome - thanks in advance!
I have quite a collection of GoPro's. Image stabilization is excellent. Battery life is approximately an hour, depending on your video settings. Extra batteries aren't too expensive. I always carry two charged batteries. I would go for whatever version has horizon levelling. I think this came in at 8. Video is standard mp4 and can be edited in almost any video editor on Windows, Apple and Linux.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
For image stabilisation you are probably in Go Pro territory. The older version of the Cycliq Fly 12 is decent for low light and has a great battery life, but doesn't have image stabilisation. I don't know if the newer versions have it.
You will need to keep an eye open for special offers as they are just outside your price range.

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Thanks all for the recommendations - seems like GoPro is the way to go then!

I've seen GoPro Session cameras going quite cheap on eBay and one in particular is the 2016 model currently on CEX for £80.00 - worth a go or better to save up for the Hero models?

ianbarton

Veteran
Thanks all for the recommendations - seems like GoPro is the way to go then!

I've seen GoPro Session cameras going quite cheap on eBay and one in particular is the 2016 model currently on CEX for £80.00 - worth a go or better to save up for the Hero models?

The session doesn't work with any existing GoPro accessories, which may or may not matter to you.

We both have the Chiili tech cameras - nice and light and good quality video suitable for submission to Police

Another fan of chilli cam here but recording is clips (adjustable 3-6 minute) if that matters (plod need a minute before and after an 'event' but not bothered by join, and is usually less than a second on timestamp.

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Another fan of chilli cam here but recording is clips (adjustable 3-6 minute) if that matters (plod need a minute before and after an 'event' but not bothered by join, and is usually less than a second on timestamp.

Yeah I looked into chilli cams actually but I wasn't sure if the business was still going - the website looked a bit suspect as they have a new camera listed under a different part of the website?

One page says £69.99 and another has a special offer on a new chipset version for £47.00.

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/
https://www.chilli-tech.com/action-cameras/Bullet-Camera-For-Cycling

I thought about having a camera that I could use for uploads to YouTube but it seems that'll be out of my reach for a while so something like the Chili cams would fit the bill nicely, if only to use as evidence.

Top Bottom