Adapter to allow a smaller chainring to be fitted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
This is an ultegra front derailleur, mounted on my Trek. This is mounted as low as possible on the bracket attached to the frame. I would like to fit a smaller front chainring, but would need to move the derailleur down. Is anyone aware of an adaptor I could use that would enable this. Thanks

Big John

Guru
Don't forget you'll still need to clear the big ring without fouling it. If you drop the front mech further than it already is will it still clear the big ring? What combo have you already got and what ware you planning to swap it to? There are limits as to what size you can drop down to depending on the BCD of the rings.

Sharky

Guru
What cassette are you running at the rear. One or two extra teeth on the big sprocket is probably an easier option to get a lower gear.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Pretty sure the OP is trying magically ;) to fit a smaller large chainring, not a smaller small ring (am assuming a compact or double).
Each tooth less is 2mm lower (12.7/2pi).
The issue is that the braze-on FD, designed with a cage curvature for a 52t ring btw, can't be slid any lower so even over the large ring there's too much gap between the teeth and the cage, leading to inaccurate shifting up and an almost assured regular dropping of the chain, outwards.
I have no solution, short of removing the braze-on and procuring a band-on FD. I wonder whether a triple FD design might reach lower?
ETA: Thinking about this (braze on as is), a maybe 2mm thick steel strip with the right curvatures and drilling might be inserted and bolted to the braze-on. The FD can then be bolted to that, acknowledging that the cage profile would have been moved to the rear those 2mm, with unknown effect on shifting. The forces on the attachment are vertical (the pull of the cable) and with only a ?20mm of distance from the pivot (braze-on point) so the moment is small and an adaptor as described would be well strong enough for purpose.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
It's not clear what you're trying to do, are you reducing the size of the small ring alone, or the whole chainset? If it's the former, you can't just move the derailleur down, you'll need one with a bigger capacity: check the specifications. If you're reducing the size of the chainset as a whole, I doubt you find any adapters, there would have to be too many different varieties to make it economical. I think your best bet would be to remove the braze-on, unless you can find one that places the clamp in a position that doesn't foul.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
There are widgets that can be bought for this, but I've no experience of them so can't comment on how effective or not. Looks to be a couple of different designs at least.

Google "front derailleur adapter" shows some options.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New Bike of course !

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Pretty sure the OP is trying magically ;) to fit a smaller large chainring, not a smaller small ring (am assuming a compact or double).
Each tooth less is 2mm lower (12.7/2pi).
The issue is that the braze-on FD, designed with a cage curvature for a 52t ring btw, can't be slid any lower so even over the large ring there's too much gap between the teeth and the cage, leading to inaccurate shifting up and an almost assured regular dropping of the chain, outwards.
I have no solution, short of removing the braze-on and procuring a band-on FD. I wonder whether a triple FD design might reach lower?
ETA: Thinking about this (braze on as is), a maybe 2mm thick steel strip with the right curvatures and drilling might be inserted and bolted to the braze-on. The FD can then be bolted to that, acknowledging that the cage profile would have been moved to the rear those 2mm, with unknown effect on shifting. The forces on the attachment are vertical (the pull of the cable) and with only a ?20mm of distance from the pivot (braze-on point) so the moment is small and an adaptor as described would be well strong enough for purpose.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately it isn't a braze on. It's a carbon frame and the attachment appears to be rivetted on.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
There are widgets that can be bought for this, but I've no experience of them so can't comment on how effective or not. Looks to be a couple of different designs at least.

Thanks. You put me on the right track. This looks like it could work
https://kidsracing.co.uk/products/croder-mechanical-front-derailleur-extender

Just need to work out what options I have for a smaller double chainset.

Top Bottom