Adapting a conventional bike rack to carry a recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
It is an offence to obscure a registration mark in any way or make it not easily distinguishable.

Section 43 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994
43 Obscured registration mark.
(1)If a registration mark fixed on a vehicle as required by virtue of section 23 is in any way—

(a)obscured, or

(b)rendered, or allowed to become, not easily distinguishable,
(2)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

It also looks like the rear lights are obstructed. To carry it like this you are going to need a 'towing board' with lights and number plate on.

Cut him some slack. Is the car being driven? No. Is the car even on the road? No. For all you know OP fits a lighting board before he actually drives the car like this - I know I wouldn't bother fitting one just for this guide!

tadpole

Cut him some slack. Is the car being driven? No. Is the car even on the road? No. For all you know OP fits a lighting board before he actually drives the car like this - I know I wouldn't bother fitting one just for this guide!
Where is he going to plug in the lighting board?

HovR

Über Member
Where is he going to plug in the lighting board?

It's possible to have towing sockets hidden behind the bodywork, but that's not the point really. My point was that there were much better ways you could have phrased that without coming off hostile, as OP interpreted it, or you could have just not said anything at all.

tadpole

Or I could have posted as I did, and the OP could have read it in the spirit it was intended, and either accepted that it was a valid point/view,disagreed and commented or ignored it and said nothing. There is not way I could have known that the OP would chuck his teddy out of the pram and flounce, this is after all a site where it is moslty adults posting.

HovR

Über Member
Or I could have posted as I did, and the OP could have read it in the spirit it was intended, and either accepted that it was a valid point/view, or ignored it and said nothing. There is not way I could have known that the OP would chuck his terry out of the pram and flounce, this is after all a site where it is moslty adults posting.

How I see it is that OP has joined this site, eager to share his creation that he is understandably proud of, and you've come along and picked holes in it (even if you were technically correct). You may have had good intentions, but "Hey, really nice solution, but have you considered the visibility of your lights/number plate?" probably would have gone down better. :smile:

OP
OP
V

Vangelo

I didn't post on the”legalities of carrying a bike on a bike rack" I posted on the”legalities of carrying a bike on a that bike rack"
If you want to drive around in an ‘unsafe manner’ that is up to you, when you get tugged, you will have to deal with the consequences.
Personally I’d rather someone point out that something I was doing/planning on doing was potentially unsafe illegal whatever, than be surprised. But again taking it as an insult, well that is up to you too.
Thanks Tadpole!
If you're bored & looking for something to do, please list the racks in this link that DONT obstruct the light or registration plate:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=car+bike+rack&_frs=1

Roof mounted racks dont count :thumbsup:

Top Bottom