Adaptor converting frame from Rim to Disc brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

Curiosity got the better of me and I ordered one to have a look at. I'll report back when I receive it, if anyone is interested (in several weeks, I suppose). I'm not planning to fit it any time soon, but the redundancy afforded by there being two brakes on a bicycle would reduce my anxiety about one of them being potentially untrustworthy. I always keep in mind the fact that one brake could fail at any time anyway, and ride accordingly, so my life wouldn't be in peril should the part fracture or something (if I ever got around to fitting it, that is).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
005800x600_zps2df58b0a.jpg

I guess I was robbed as I spent considerably more than £2 on this disc conversion bracket for my bike.

005800x600_zps2df58b0a.jpg

I guess I was robbed as I spent considerably more than £2 on this disc conversion bracket for my bike.
Theres a difference between that and the earlier links. Yours is bolted on, I'd suggest it's more comparable to a post mount adaptor. I'd still not do it and stick to whatever the frame was designed for though.
The ones in the links are a clamp arrangement around the stay - liable to move under braking and be difficult to align without rubbing so would need adjusting frequently. Relying on clamping with a braking component just seems a really bad idea.

S.Giles

Relying on clamping with a braking component just seems a really bad idea.
Do not all brakes rely on clamping?

I tend to agree with some of the negative comments in the above posts, but would like to evaluate it for myself, which can't be done properly by viewing a photograph.

Some things that don't seem like a good idea turn out to be fine. Can you imagine the derision with which the first heavier-than-air flying machine was greeted, for example? Or the helicopter ejector-seat... no, hang-on, that was a bad idea! :-)

I can live with the £1.70 research budget, BTW.

Steve

I tend to agree with some of the negative comments in the above posts, but would like to evaluate it for myself, which can't be done properly by viewing a photograph.

Some things that don't seem like a good idea turn out to be fine. Can you imagine the derision with which the first heavier-than-air flying machine was greeted, for example? Or the helicopter ejector-seat... no, hang-on, that was a bad idea! :-)

Steve
Whats wrong with sideways if enough elevation :whistle:

S.Giles

The helicopter ejector seat was invented in the early nineties by Professor Piehead (a cartoon character from Vis comic). Apparently it was 'Another Partial Success!'.

I've no idea why that has stuck in my head for several decades. I'd love to see that cartoon again, though.

(Maybe if you wrote into Viz they'd pass your suggestion on to Dr Piehead himself!)

Last edited:

Steve
Kamov Ka-50
It is the world's first operational helicopter with a rescue ejection system, which allows the pilot to escape at all altitudes and speeds. The K-37-800 rocket-assisted ejection system is manufactured by the Zvezda Research and Production Enterprise Joint Stock Company in the Moscow region
It's the clamping onto the seat stay I don't like, but for £1.70? - why not.

Pedantic engineer point - brakes don't work by clamping, they work on the friction between the two surfaces. Squeezing the brakes produces a fixed force on the pads as it's a mechanical thing (brake lever/pad movement). The effect they have depends on the pad/disc friction, clean and dry works better than oily.

S.Giles

From the Wikipedia Kamov Ka-50 page:
"...investigations indicated that the source of the crash was due to a "malfunction of the ejector (seat) mechanism" which caused it to activate involuntarily."

Another partial success! Prof. Piehead would be proud the Russians have picked up and developed his idea, and obtained similar results to his own!

Theres a difference between that and the earlier links. Yours is bolted on, I'd suggest it's more comparable to a post mount adaptor. I'd still not do it and stick to whatever the frame was designed for though.
The ones in the links are a clamp arrangement around the stay - liable to move under braking and be difficult to align without rubbing so would need adjusting frequently. Relying on clamping with a braking component just seems a really bad idea.

Most motorcycle rear brakes sit on a mount that has the wheel spindle go through it and then it uses a torque arm and is not bolted, but is normally just a slot on the holder that locates on a bung on the inside of the swinging arm.

Top Bottom