Added two inches - WOW!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
brokenbetty said:
You know what you need? 3 different bikes ;)

Well that's just the footware this week ... so that means I almost need a bike for every pair of shoes ... there is some duplication of heights of the sole... so maybe not directly 1 for 1:biggrin:

OP
OP
N

NigC

summerdays said:
Well that's just the footware this week ... so that means I almost need a bike for every pair of shoes ... there is some duplication of heights of the sole... so maybe not directly 1 for 1:biggrin:

Well on that note, I thank whatever diety is in charge that my wife is not a cyclist ;):wacko:

OP
OP
N

NigC

Going back to my rather impressive extension: I was still amazed at the difference this made again this-morning ;) Knowledge is a wonderful thing :wacko:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just the one obvious point that no one has made yet, don't go past the max line on the seat post. ;) At 6'6" with a 40" inside leg I struggled for ages to get a bike to fit. Now got a Giant with a Ritchey seatpost that has about an inch to spare before the max line.

OP
OP
N

NigC

BentMikey said:
If your wife saw that comment, you'd be committing a bit of die-ty.

Fortunately, her lack of interest in cycling goes hand-in-hand with her lack of interest in cycling forums ;) :wacko:

Zippy

Jambon - try searching on here for "stuck seat post" - definitely worth a read before you give up and definitely worth doing.

I used to arrive soaked in sweat and aching terribly because my seat post was stuck too low for commuting, but thought I had to put up with it.

Having unstuck (actually chemically melted out) my seat post and set to the right height, commuting is an absolute joy, I am far more confident a rider because I have energy in reserve and life is bliss!

If your frame is steel and your seat post is alloy, then it is a cinche to melt it out, but PM me for more tips if you need. Good Luck!

holdsworthy

seatpost height

very old-school, but reach over the seat post with your saddle snug in your armpit with your arm stretched down to the crank, the tip of your extended index finger should be at the centre of the crankbolt i.e. the centre of the axle.
Get someone to watch you from behind, the hips should not rock side to side ( seat too high )
factors such as thickness of sole of shoe and type of cleat ( if any ) come into play also. It's always a good idea to get a bike shop fit and fine tune it as your riding habits evolve, but never more than a few mm at a time. ;)

Kablinsky

martint235 said:
Just the one obvious point that no one has made yet, don't go past the max line on the seat post. :biggrin: At 6'6" with a 40" inside leg I struggled for ages to get a bike to fit. Now got a Giant with a Ritchey seatpost that has about an inch to spare before the max line.

summerdays said:
Well certainly different to mine at 5'6 (well 5 and a half), and a 31.5" inside leg:biggrin:

Sounds like there's a bunch of circus freaks on here. I'm 5' 8" with a 29"ish inside leg. I have to ride a medium frame otherwise I'm too hunched up on the drops but there's no clearance between the crown jewels and the top tube.;)

My legs are actually different lengths by 1/4". It turns saddle height adjustment into a science to the point where I have to have my cleats at different positions on the shoes to compensate.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
One sure fire indicator of the seat post / position being too high is that the backs of your knee (or knees) will hurt.

Curiously my left leg is slightly shorter than my right and I notice the incorrect height on this shorter leg, even though my right side is perfectly fine...

Top Bottom