Adding an extra gear to a 4-speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One general comment on this is that the 4 speed is a lightweight commuter variant, and improvement on the 2 speed gear range, but maintaining the "no hub gears" weight saving. 6 speeds are still available for a wider gear range at a slight weight penalty.

To buy one and complain about the slightly limited gear range is like buying a cat and complaining that it wont bark.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
One general comment on this is that the 4 speed is a lightweight commuter variant, and improvement on the 2 speed gear range, but maintaining the "no hub gears" weight saving. 6 speeds are still available for a wider gear range at a slight weight penalty.

To buy one and complain about the slightly limited gear range is like buying a cat and complaining that it wont bark.

Don't know if you read my last post.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
The guy in question with the 4-speed was the guy whose handlebar stem snapped on his brand new Brompton.

Brompton were going to replace his with a brand new SL 6-speed, but he didn't like the colours that were availalble at the time

By the time he decided to go ahead, they were no longer making that SL and so he was given the 4-speed as his replacement bike.

So he didn't have a huge amount of choice in the gearing he was offered.

I know at the time I had a conversation with him about limited range on the 4-speed.

ukoldschool

From a quick google it appears the T/P line 4 speed has a cassette with individual standard shimano gears with the 11t as the high gear. So theoretically your man could change the front sprocket to a 54, and then change a variety of the larger gears to give the desired range and retain a higher top gear. He will need to play around with the gear calculator, and I would presume there is a point at which the rear cog is too big and hits on the new rear frame, but I have no idea what that is unfortunately...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9fHY53_zgk

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
From a quick google it appears the T/P line 4 speed has a cassette with individual standard shimano gears with the 11t as the high gear. So theoretically your man could change the front sprocket to a 54, and then change a variety of the larger gears to give the desired range and retain a higher top gear. He will need to play around with the gear calculator, and I would presume there is a point at which the rear cog is too big and hits on the new rear frame, but I have no idea what that is unfortunately...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9fHY53_zgk

I can't find the source, but I've heard that bigger than 18T sprockets can foul on the rear frame, necessitating some gap creation with a file.
Or, presumably, a big hammer.
I have no idea if this applies to the Ti rear frame though.
Probably easiest to take a cassette to bits and see what will / won't fit.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I can't find the source, but I've heard that bigger than 18T sprockets can foul on the rear frame, necessitating some gap creation with a file.
Or, presumably, a big hammer.
I have no idea if this applies to the Ti rear frame though.
Probably easiest to take a cassette to bits and see what will / won't fit.

I'm sure I read that somewhere to, so although it takes standard shimano sprockets, the opportunity to customise is quite limited as 11 is smallest and nowt bigger than what is on will fit anyway, so given that why would change away from 11-13-15-18 anyway.

a.twiddler

Veteran
As this is a relatively new set up there isn't the wealth of knowledge out there yet about what can and can't be done to improve the gear range so everyone who experiments is a test pilot for those who follow.

It does seem, though, that the bigger chainring with a smaller inner as several have suggested is the way to go. Is the bottom bracket length significantly different on this model, and clearances on the rear frame? I've managed to do it on an older hub geared model, and that took a bit of trial and error, due to the concerns about any modifications not only working but potentially affecting the fold. Still using the greasy finger change at the moment but eventually might fit a front derailleur as I've got a frame bracket from ebay knocking around somewhere.

With an unlimited budget you might go as far as changing the wheels and managing an extra rear cog but it'll be non standard and might need other, non reversible, modifications to make it work. In my case, I try to use standard parts as much as possible with a view to reverting to original spec if I come to sell it for example (though if I did sell, it would probably be to buy a newer, better specced Brompton)! At the moment, this one suits me fine, and I have the pleasure of knowing that any improvements are all my own work.

Brommiefornia

To accommodate a bigger cog than 21t, you would need to look into a new derailleur and chain tensioner… and then once you’re down that path, you might as well go for the whole 7sp kit. This is where brands like Thx4ride, Ltwoo, DCCH, and others have their offerings.

Top Bottom