Adding suspension to 20" front wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
Normal suspension forks (e.g. Spinner Grind and Meks/Saso) often interfere with the chain lines on short wheelbase recumbents. I've been looking into the feasibility of adding a suspension fork to my Metathesis. Recumbentparts.com have some "headshock" style forks but they seem to have tight clearances. Have come across airwings-systems.de Revolution fork, http://www.airwings-systems.de/revolution.html and am making enquiries as to availability and price. Might be a good option for Fuego owners too.

Falco Frank

Veteran
Amused me that I want to try removing my suspension forks and go rigid in my "need for speed"!

I did find the fork top caps,catching on my cable holders recently so had to jiggle thing a bit. One upgrade I did see offered to assist climbing was the ability to lock out the suspension, from MTB's I guess - not sure of the cost v need for this.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Why do you think suspension forks sap power from transmission to the rear wheel? it's difficult to stand on the pedals when riding bent! :laugh:

Not sure about geometry as many recumbent forks are straight, but instinctively if you alter the trail, and rake it may make alterations to the handling

The other note is wheel size it is common practice when suspension is fitted to sleep inA 16 inch wheel In place of the standard 20 inch wheel

It'll be interesting to see how things change

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
The rake on the Airwings fork is 45mm (well it is on the MTB version) which is the same as the current steel fork I fitted. As you say, it may raise the height of the BB although the current fork is quite a tall one anyway. I don't know the axle to crown measurement of the Revolution fork. The axle to crown measurement of the MEKS is 340mm to allow for 2" of travel. I'll measure my current fork when I get home.

Falco Frank

Veteran
Why do you think suspension forks sap power from transmission to the rear wheel? it's difficult to stand on the pedals when riding bent! :laugh:

I see where your coming from :blush: I think the intention is more to reduce bobbing from the front of the bike rather than claiming anything else.

I'm not convinced either, just adds weight and complexity!

Top Bottom