Adieu Avon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Another of my childhood icons goes to the great spaceship in the sky:sad:. 1978, Carl Sagan's Xmas lectures, Blake fighting for freedom....40 years ago!:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48501099

Sad to hear. Not that old either.

By co-incidence I've been watching Blake's 7 episodes recently, and it is strangely compelling, particularly Avon (Darrow) and his sarcastic one-liners. It may have been a bit ropey, even for the time, but it has a certain something

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Sad to hear. Not that old either.

By co-incidence I've been watching Blake's 7 episodes recently, and it is strangely compelling, particularly Avon (Darrow) and his sarcastic one-liners. It may have been a bit ropey, even for the time, but it has a certain something

Gareth Thomas (Blake) once said it was 'bargain basement star trek'. However cheap it looked with wobbly sets and space ships on fishing wire, the stories and characters were best, especially Avon and his wit.

I recall one episode where they end up on a world with a war between men & women going on. Avon had a line at the end, something like; "You can have war between nations, war between planets but when you have war between genders, you suddenly run out of people".

Always liked that one. Great show from the creator of the daleks, Terry Nation.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Is there an echo in here?
No

I was a big fan of Blake's 7. Even preferred it to the original Star Trek. (only Red Dwarf beats B7 in terms of favourite sci-fi progarmmes.

With Avon on your side, you always felt you were going to come out on top in any scrap. Along with Orac, they were unbeatable.

And as someone mentioned up thread, the sarcasm in Avon's replies was a joy to hear.

Top Bottom