Adjustable Stem Attachment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adasta

I recently got a Carrera Virtuoso. I'd like to raise the stem by maybe an inch or two so that it's more comfortable to ride on the hoods (since I will mainly be riding in town).

So, on that note, I went to Evans to buy something and thought I'd ask about stem spacers while I was there. The mechanic told me that stem spacers wouldn't work on this bike because the stem is cut to fit, hence there is no ability for it to be adjusted. He told me that I would need an adjustable stem in order to give myself the sufficient angle which would effectively raise the stem. He showed me one, but it was £40 and he said that he would have to charge me labour to fit it (fair enough).

Can anyone recommend me something? I hope my description made sense!

Zoiders

Flip the stem or buy a generic cheapy (rigid not adjustable).

You can get extender sleeves for the steerer tube but they tend to give a very upright position, more than you would want I would imagine.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Flip the stem or buy a generic cheapy (rigid not adjustable).

You can get extender sleeves for the steerer tube but they tend to give a very upright position, more than you would want I would imagine.

Flipping the stem that came with it will give you enough rise, i used to have mine flipped untill i got used to it.

evilclive

The adjustables are cheap because they fall to bits, even the £40 ones fall to bits.

The final impetus for putting my current bike together was the adjustable stem on its predecessor failing and resulting in me lying on the floor going ow.

e-rider

crappy member
flipping the stem is the easiest and cheapest thing to do (it's free) - you should gain about 2-4cm depending on the angle of the stem (6 or 10 degrees)

I ride with mine flipped if I plan to do 100 miles or so. For shorter 50 mile rides I have it in the usual position

billy1561

BB wrecker
I paid £20 for a stem which i fitted myself and messed up. There was way too much slack after tightening. Went back to the shop where i bought it from and they fitted it for a fiver and vast improvement. Basically it required a different spacer which i didn't have anyway :whistle:

Zoiders

The final impetus for putting my current bike together was the adjustable stem on its predecessor failing and resulting in me lying on the floor going ow.
Not suprised, you are riding on something that relies on two sets of intermeshed teeth like a gear box to hold it together, how they ever thought that would work with aluminium is beyond me.

Top Bottom