adjusting front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
Went out on the new hybrid yesterday for the first time which i only intend to use as a commuter and i don't think it's been set up particularly well.

The front mech is a triple and when on the lower ring, all is ok, but on the middle and larger ring the chain rubs against the guard.

Is this an easy adjustment or should i take it back to the LBS?

I'd rather tackle it myself if at all possible.

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

If it's a new bike, then you should get a free checkup - and also be able to take it back if you think there is a problem.

But setting up a derailleur isn't too difficult - though you can sometimes end up going round in circles trying to set up a triple front. Some always seem to rub - the art is getting it working well on the middle and accepting that it might rub on the extremes of the smaller and bigger. Might be an idea to take it back and watch them set it up if you can.

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
Hi,

If it's a new bike, then you should get a free checkup - and also be able to take it back if you think there is a problem.

But setting up a derailleur isn't too difficult - though you can sometimes end up going round in circles trying to set up a triple front. Some always seem to rub - the art is getting it working well on the middle and accepting that it might rub on the extremes of the smaller and bigger. Might be an idea to take it back and watch them set it up if you can.

cheers g00se. the shop told me to bring it back after 4 weeks for a free check up which i wil of course do.

I'll have a go at setting it up on the middle ring and if not take it back and deny ever having touched it ;)

I take it's just a case of adjusting the + and - screws?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Went out on the new hybrid yesterday for the first time which i only intend to use as a commuter and i don't think it's been set up particularly well.

The front mech is a triple and when on the lower ring, all is ok, but on the middle and larger ring the chain rubs against the guard.

Is this an easy adjustment or should i take it back to the LBS?

I'd rather tackle it myself if at all possible.

The 2 screws are just stop screws that limit the movement of the derailleur in and out. its the cable tension that probably needs adjusting but watch this video first.

If the cable is slack when your in the smallest chainring you probably just need to tension the cable until the slackness is gone but not so much that its moving the derailleur.

.Front derailleur adjustment video
Theres no point trying to adjust the derailleur for extreme angles ie large chain ring / large cog on the rearcassette. You shouldnt ride like that anyway.

jimboalee

Shimano website, mentioned in another thread.

Front mech installation and adjustment manuals are .pdf.

Print them all out. As I said on the other thread, you should have been given a package of documents when you bought the bike.

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
had a quick look myself, but then i found out that the mechanism wouldn't even shift onto the biggest ring, so i thought sod it and took it back to the LBS.

they sorted it within 10mins and apologised for not setting it up correctly.

not sure whether i should be impressed with the quick fix or dissapointed with the lack of original checks.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
had a quick look myself, but then i found out that the mechanism wouldn't even shift onto the biggest ring, so i thought sod it and took it back to the LBS.

they sorted it within 10mins and apologised for not setting it up correctly.

not sure whether i should be impressed with the quick fix or dissapointed with the lack of original checks.

It was probably ok when it left the shop.I think its a regular occurence that the cable strtetches a bit initially .

One of the advantages of using an lbs is the aftersales support you get . Save £20 by buying on line then your on your own should any minor problems occur.

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
It was probably ok when it left the shop.I think its a regular occurence that the cable strtetches a bit initially .

One of the advantages of using an lbs is the aftersales support you get . Save £20 by buying on line then your on your own should any minor problems occur.

i doubt it. I only picked it up on Thursday and took it for it's maided outing yesterday. However, as you say the aftersales of a LBS can deal with all the niggling little teething problems.

Top Bottom