Adjusting front forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SoulOnIce

Ok - just posted about a GT Avalanche I've been given.

Seems quite good to me. Have been out on it and adjusted a few bits to get it just right. My question (as a nooob on fixing up MTBs) is how to adjust the front forks.

On the right is a lockout lever. Am I right in assuming this controls how springy the fork is - from full lock out thru to springy in infinite increments?

If so, any tips on how this 90kg old fella should set it up?

Secondly, I take it the dial on the left is the control for how quickly the fork springs back after begin compressed?

If so, any tips for setting this up correctly?

Cheers

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
As far as my RockShox are concerned, the rebound adjust is on the bottom right leg, the left control is the preload and the right crown control is the damping/lockout. Yours may be different though.

OP
OP
SoulOnIce

SoulOnIce

AndyCarolan said:
As far as my RockShox are concerned, the rebound adjust is on the bottom right leg, the left control is the preload and the right crown control is the damping/lockout. Yours may be different though.

Thanks for this. I know what the damping / lockout is for.

What is the preload and the rebound - and what do I do to adjust them correctly?

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
SoulOnIce said:
Thanks for this. I know what the damping / lockout is for.

What is the preload and the rebound - and what do I do to adjust them correctly?

Well, im no expert but Preload will do just that... preload the spring so that it takes more force to compress them further. Rebound damping controls how fast the fork opens after a compression. Setting it all up correctly really depends on rider weight, style and surface type I guess. Im sure someone with far more knowledge than me could help further :blush:

lukesdad

The lockout does what it says, locks the fork out. The preload determines how far the fork will travel, hard or soft. Bump and rebound,control the speed at which the damping operates.

All of which is nomally set to rider preference,it depends on what you want the fork to do. Id start setting the preload fairly hard and the Bump and rebound fairly slow and work from there.

02GF74

Über Member
would help if you said what make model are the forks :tongue:

lock out - done by either by a cable operated lever or knob on the fork itsetlf, will lock the fork so that it does not compress at all or cpompresses very very little.

google for the anual for the forks - I'd be surprised if you cannot find the exact model or similar.

zac 64

I have a gt avalanche and it has suntour XLH forks.the lock out lever on right hand fork leg is left locked when using on the road and unlocked when riding offroad.They can be unlocked while still moving,But i always stop to lock them as then you can make sure that forks are fully extended.preload only on LH leg,but no rebound adjustment. mine are about 3 turns clockwise from min.

homercles

Same on my forks (SRX100) preload adjustment (stiffer or softer) is done by turning the top of the LH leg, while the RH lockout lever makes the forks almost like a rigid. You do still get a small amount of travel.

Top Bottom