Adjusting me brakes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rosscbrown

Howdy all,

Last week a had a puncture and took it to a shop to get it fixed (lazy, I know) and since then my front break has been a bit rubbish. I can pull the break leaver all the way to the handelbar and while the bike stops, it doesn't do so quite so abruptly as I would like. I noticed the guy in the bike shop adjusting something on the breaks to get them to release. But they have been left too "spongey" for my liking.

How do I adjust them back to how they were? I'm running a 2010 Tricross Sport which I believe has traditional cantilever breaks.

NB: I've read the info on Sheldon Brown on breaks and the adjusting thereof but I'm not exactly sure what I need to do to my bike :-)

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't have much experience of cantilevers but I would expect there is some sort of quick release mechanism to open the brakes up to make it easier/possible to remove the wheel and I suspect this hasn't been put into it's normal position.

If you're not sure, in your situation, I would take it back to the shop as they are the ones who "broke" it and I would expect them to fix FOC.

OP
OP
R

rosscbrown

The joy of living in two cities means that I'm 70 miles away from my 'local' bike shop. And while I'm getting fitter, I'm still 55 miles short of a trip up there.

02GF74

Über Member
forget Sheldon Brown but find a dictionary.

The word you are looking for is: brake, plural brakes.

as to your question, yes you can ajust them - there is usually a barrel where the cable leaves the lever (note spelling!) - that takes up slack. It is possible the shop monkeys screwed that in so that the noodle could be released but forgot to undo (I am assuming you have v-brakes)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Ross, if your bike has cantilevers, the set up is a bit more complex than for other types of brakes, because the mechanical advantage of the lever isn't pre-set, you (or the shop) control it in the way you set up the brake.

This is probably the best article on the subject I've read;
http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/cantisetup.html

Although Sheldon Brown has a reference too.
http://sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

As a rule of thumb, I generally aim to have space to get a finger between lever and bars (at least) with the brake fully on.

Number14

Guru
forget Sheldon Brown but find a dictionary.

The word you are looking for is: brake, plural brakes.

as to your question, yes you can ajust them - there is usually a barrel where the cable leaves the lever (note spelling!) - that takes up slack. It is possible the shop monkeys screwed that in so that the noodle could be released but forgot to undo (I am assuming you have v-brakes)

Before you start being pedantic and criticising other people's spelling/grammar, I would suggest that you learn to read first. After all, a dictionary is no good if you can't read.

How do I adjust them back to how they were? I'm running a 2010 Tricross Sport which I believe has traditional cantilever breaks.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Everything you need to know here

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-cantilever-brakes/

Top Bottom