Adjusting to this commuting lark ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Started last Thursday, and will be using the 'Four and One' method, not to be confused with that tasty fast food eaterie I pass on the way home!

Basically cycling Monday/Tuesday, shirt and suit run on Wednesday in car, then cycling Thursday/Friday. I was worried about my body keeping up, but just smashed my best time on way home there and averaged 14.75 miles which is good for me!

Anyway, the problems that have crept up are:

1. The need for organisation. It takes a bit of organisation, pre-planning and effort to keep this commuting show on the road. Laundry night tonight to get all 4 shirts ready to go tomorrow. Gee wiz.

2. Sleep. My day runs half 5 to about 9pm, 8.45pm last night. Basically I get halfway through an evening then fall asleep. Has killed TV time with my wife and any possibility of doing any paperwork in the evenings.

3. At about 3.20pm I was knackered and crabbit! Not good in a job where patience is a must.

4. I don't have any energy to play golf. I love golf.

However, on the flip side, for 2 - 2 1/2 hours per day, I am exercising and absolutely loving it!

Just hope I get used to it.

jarlrmai

Veteran
1. Yup
2. It will get better as you get more used to the increased effort.
3. See 2
4. See 3

How far is your RT?

Drago

Legendary Member
You'll adjust right quick. Eat plenty but carefully, 8 hours kip nightly and you'll be fine. But remember the adage - cycling doesn't get easier, it just gets faster.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Either 38, 30 or if I was really pushed 24 miles.

The 38 one is the most frequent.

Nearly finished these bloody shirts!!

Eat well but carefully - any tips?

Drago

Legendary Member
Diet is my weak point so I'm not the best person to ask really. Suffice to say avoid the really bad stuff, burgers, kebabs etc the night before a commute and raise your intake of complex carbs.. No need to go OTT, just be a sensible.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
How many calories should I consume?

I am 2 stone overweight so should diet but feel like I'm burning a lot of energy commuting.

young Ed

Veteran
depending on thats a long commute how heavy you are and how fast you ride and your riding style etc for 38 miles i would be saying 1,800 - 2,000
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
So if my daily intake should be 2,500, but I burn off 2,000, does that mean I need 4,500 calories to stay the same?

si_c

Guru
So if my daily intake should be 2,500, but I burn off 2,000, does that mean I need 4,500 calories to stay the same?

Pretty much. Get a cycling app, Strava for want of anything else, and it'll give you a rough idea of how many calories you'll burn off during your ride. Eat accordingly.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
^_^Im in a similar position to you. I have about a 40 km RT commute. One way takes me about 1hr 10min and often stop and take photos. It means having all your gear ready the night before. Go to bed earlier, thats not a bad thing. Get up earlier, thats not a good thing.

Now this may seem gungy to some, but all my gear comes in the shower with me when I get home and I wash it through while I am having my shower. I rinse it, wring it out and hang it in the bathroom and it is dry in the morning. I wash it at the end of the week.

Dont rush, its not a race and you will end up burning yourself out. I am not a scientist but I think cycling is a great way to keep aerobically fit but not so good for losing weight. On the other hand Kickbiking is great for both.

If you havnt got Winter gear, start researching and buying now.

My tip to losing weight is not to eat after 6pm, drink LOTS more water and give up one thing that you know helps to put on weight. Try it for 2 weeks and tell us what happened.

Steve

double_dd

Über Member
I think cycling does lose weight. Although it's probably at the expense of other muscles if not going to the gym as well. I've lost 10 lbs just upping how many times I cycle a week. I've also tried commuting to work which is a 40 mile roud trip.

What I have noticed is my arms getting smaller :sad: mainly due to not going to the gym but I'll sort that.

I'm relatively fit as still lost weight. Also I hit a wall mid afternoon when I've commuted but just got to remember to eat more than I would normally.

Top Bottom