Adjusting to this commuting lark ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
I've now been commuting every day for the last 30+ days. I'm not worried about burning out as mine is only a 15KM RT. Still feel so much healthier and fitter

Butty1972

I only get to commute on Fridays, I take our little boy to nursery the other 4 working days. But... I love it... I try to get out of the house by 7, it's only 10km, lovely riverside route, swans asleep on the water, cycle paths empty, shower at work, walk to desk drinking from my bike bottle, knowing I've done a tiny little bit for my health...
But yes, even doing it one day a week requires some organisation... I'm still brining in too much stuff with my on Fridays, need to leave some footwear at work rather than bringing it in with me....
But, as I said , I love it..... just ordered a skullcap as it is starting to get a bit chilly round the old lugholes...

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I think cycling does lose weight. Although it's probably at the expense of other muscles if not going to the gym as well. I've lost 10 lbs just upping how many times I cycle a week. I've also tried commuting to work which is a 40 mile roud trip.

What I have noticed is my arms getting smaller :sad: mainly due to not going to the gym but I'll sort that.

I'm relatively fit as still lost weight. Also I hit a wall mid afternoon when I've commuted but just got to remember to eat more than I would normally.

Glad I'm not the only one lol. I've lost a ton of weight and my legs are like rocks but my arms are looking skinny. Definition is better with less fat around them but I'm gonna have to put in the arm workouts I think :boxing:

jarlrmai

Veteran
38 miles is not 2000kcal maybe if you weigh a lot or you are TTing it at high speed.

I did 50 with 2000ft @ ~18mph recently with my powermeter and it says I used 1500, still think it was a bit over what I actually used.

I tend not to bother with calorie counting, I just eat when I'm hungry...

Since cycling, that's pretty much all the time. Lost 5lbs this week though, just take loads of fruit to work on Monday and chomp away. By focusing on healthy food you don't really need to watch what you eat. If your snacking on crisps, bread and pasta you might have a problem keeping your energy levels up, hence low energy around 3pm. Focus on veg, fruit, meats and nuts... Carbs are ok, but shouldn't take up more than 1/3 of your meals.

si_c

Guru
38 miles is not 2000kcal maybe if you weigh a lot or you are TTing it at high speed.

I did 50 with 2000ft @ ~18mph recently with my powermeter and it says I used 1500, still think it was a bit over what I actually used.

I weigh over 100kg, which might have something to do with it :laugh::laugh:.

mangid

Guru
I always tend to think the estimates form Strava/Garmin are way over the top, they tend to quote about ~1100 for my 40 miles in and I'm fairly sure it's no where near that. I guess they take your weight into account, but I do wonder if as you get fitter there are some physiological efficiencies ?

I use MyFitnessPal which automatically links to Strava/Garmin and will give you a calories burnt estimate (based on average speed). It has a barcode reader built in so it's relatively easy to track you calories consumed.

Top Bottom