Adjustment screw stuck in dropout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Snapped the bloody thing twice in me impatience. tried pliers on the few millimeters that are visible and thought about having a go with a drill(a bad idea?). But I suppose I am just going to have to live with it as it is?

Ouch. That's bad news.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Yes I am Adrian
Only it happens to be a Compagnolo dropout, fortunately the frame has a couple of other flaws so I will be keeping it for my own personal use.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Snapped inside and out, Doh. I have been trying to clamp some needle pliers on a short internal stump. I was dreaming about some sort of needle nosed mole grips.

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't offer anything that hasn't been suggested other than taking care and accuracy if you do try to drill the broken stud.
What I can suggest later is copperslip. I had barrel adjusters sieze in an alloy frame, devil of a job to fix, I ended up drilling them out completely and re-tapping them, then copious use of antisieze to prevent recurrence.

midlife

Guru
Nightmare :sad: people have tried all sorts including spark erosion but usually it's a question of drilling them out and re-tapping. Or glueing them in if the hole gets too big.

Not a job to do with the frame resting on your lap and holding the black and decker by hand.......

Shaun

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
While it might be nice to retain adjusters as an original feature of a cherished frame, whenever I've had this problem (1<n<7) I've ended up calling it quits, sawing/snapping/snipping the adjuster as close to the dropout as possible and filing it flush. It must take me, ooh, 4 seconds longer to centre the wheel, compared with possibly many hours trying to extract a broken one. I can live with that!

robgul

Legendary Member
As suggested - just cut the rest of it out - they really serve no useful purpose - pull the axle fully back in the dropout and align the wheel in the rear forks by eye before you tighten the QR (or nuts if it's an older wheel/hub). Simples.

Rob

Top Bottom