Adjustments Gone Wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dundeebarefeet

Actual Question - My front derailer shifter is pulling almost no tension regardless of how much tension is in the cable - Is this something that can be fixed in the shift housing on the handlebar - if so, any guidance as I have never used a bike with Integrated Brake-Shift Levers and I can't see any obvious access? (I may have caused the problem by trying to apply to much tension on the front derailer).

Convoluted version...

Hello. I finally purchased a proper bike after two failed C2W scheme attempts with previous employers. Problem is, my Triban 3 was delivered with the derailer rubbing against the chain. I had a look at a few videos and seemed to be doing ok although only one limit screw seemed to have any effect - the one that brings the cage towards the chainrings.

I then tried to adjust where it was positioned along the seat post. A lot of tension was released and thinking back I can't remember if I did that while it was on the small gear as I should have. After struggling to get the right tension I eventually got it to shift the gears again but the derailer was still not perfect. I decided to reposition it against the seat post again and then after that, despite the cable being tight enough by feel - nothing happens. Holding onto to the cable I can feel almost no movement while attempting to shift up a gear.

On some videos it mentioned using a barrel adjuster but I cannot see the equivalent on my bike.

Any help would be great - hopefully it won't be - "take it to the bike shop and get someone with a clue to look at it". If pictures would help then I can take some.

Pauluk

Study the youtube videos again carefully. Pay attention to the height of the derailleur arm in relation to the largest front cog. The arm should be 2mm to 3mm above the large front cog and inline with the bike. If it needs adjusting, do it with the cable released from the pinch bolt.

Also with the cable released from the pinch bolt move the derailleur inline with the large cog and check that limit screw. Then do the same with the small cog and its limit screw. Its vital that these two adjustments are working.

When you have set the derailleur height and the two limit screws properly, refix the cable using the pinch bolt. The barrel adjuster may be at the gear selector where the cable enters.

Look at the youtube videos again first though as it may click in your mind whats going on so to speak. Good luck.

OP
OP
Dundeebarefeet

Dundeebarefeet

Thanks for the feedback. Here is where I am.
Study the youtube videos again carefully. Pay attention to the height of the derailleur arm in relation to the largest front cog. The arm should be 2mm to 3mm above the large front cog and inline with the bike. If it needs adjusting, do it with the cable released from the pinch bolt.
Check
Also with the cable released from the pinch bolt move the derailleur inline with the large cog and check that limit screw. Then do the same with the small cog and its limit screw. Its vital that these two adjustments are working.
Check
When you have set the derailleur height and the two limit screws properly, refix the cable using the pinch bolt. The barrel adjuster may be at the gear selector where the cable enters.

Now I'm still not sure about the barrel adjustment. I have played with this piece (see picture below) and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Here is a picture from the front if that helps

Just to reiterate, clicking down a gear on my chainring does not even make my derailer twitch. The derailer seems set up fine and I am almost certain the problem is at the top - either a barrel issue or the internal workings of the shifter.

ImageShack.us

OP
OP
Dundeebarefeet

Dundeebarefeet

Update: I managed to tweak the barrel and increase tension but nothing moves. I manually pulled on the cable and it does shift onto the second chain ring so I am almost certain there is not a derailleur problem. Back onto the shifter...any ideas?

sidevalve

Über Member
If when you move the shifter [it will move ?] and nothing happens at the by the mech end of the cable the options are limited 1 - cable snapped, unlikely 2 - shifter broke, also unlikely 3 - cable may have become dissconected in the shifter when the tension was at it's slackest. If you can't refit it [and it's more fiddly than difficult] try the LBS it shouldn't be a big job to get it all sorted and adjusted.

OP
OP
Dundeebarefeet

Dundeebarefeet

If when you move the shifter [it will move ?] and nothing happens at the by the mech end of the cable the options are limited 1 - cable snapped, unlikely 2 - shifter broke, also unlikely 3 - cable may have become dissconected in the shifter when the tension was at it's slackest. If you can't refit it [and it's more fiddly than difficult] try the LBS it shouldn't be a big job to get it all sorted and adjusted.

I think the last possibility is correct. In the picture on the left I have drawn a line where I should be able to see exposed cable (as I can on the other shifter).

Now, as far as opening it up, I cannot see any Youtube videos that show integrated shifters the same as mine. After lifting the wraps on both sides I could only see one screw (as circled on the picture). Do you think it is this one I have to use to open it up.

Top Bottom