Adopt a new Universal idiot driver sign

• Use Clarkson's 'Loser' sign

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Use the 'Village idiot' sign

• Use other sign or none Please state

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moose

mr_hippo said:
All of your assumptions in para 1 are wrong. So, you see a motorist using a mobile phone - what has it got to do with you? Nothing but you want to tell them that it's illegal. Do you take the same stance when you see other illegal acts e.g. littering?
You mention the drink-driving campaign but people still drink and drive!

A motorist using his moblie phone might have a lot to do with me particularly if whilst using his phone he knocks me off (seeing as though he's between 20-29% more likely to fail to notice and respond to a road traffic situation).

I have, in the past been know to make people aware of their illegal acts including littering. I don't do it all of the time, but as you've already pointed out, I'm only human and don't always do as I should.

Yes people still drink and drive, but there was a significant drop in the 80's and 90's with a sustained campaign and a number of other measures implemented.

Moose

Rhythm Thief said:
The problem is, wristy hand gestures from other road users don't work either. Think about it ... you make some sort of gesture at a driver doing something daft. Does he think a)"what the f**k's he on about? Tosser" or b)"goodness me! he's right! I am a big self-gratification artist!" Work it out for yourself, but in the meantime, riding defensively and maintaining a polite but dominant road position (if you see what I mean) is the best way to do things.

If you're on you bike then it will be a lot safer to do what you suggest, but I think a simple, non-offensive hand gesture is a good idea. The current crop of hand-gestures are probably unsuitable and could inflame things (having said that, you'll always get those who will go into a rage just because you have a blue/green/yellow jacket on).

LLB

Moose said:
A motorist using his moblie phone might have a lot to do with me particularly if whilst using his phone he knocks me off (seeing as though he's between 20-29% more likely to fail to notice and respond to a road traffic situation).

I have, in the past been know to make people aware of their illegal acts including littering. I don't do it all of the time, but as you've already pointed out, I'm only human and don't always do as I should.

Yes people still drink and drive, but there was a significant drop in the 80's and 90's with a sustained campaign and a number of other measures implemented.

Do you wear dentures now ? :angry:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Moose said:

A motorist who is not using a phone may also knock you off as could an old dear pushing a shopping trolley, a stray football, a cycling companion and a host of other causes - what do you intend to do about those? You quoted a figure - 20-29%, any sources to back this up?
Moose said:
If you're on you bike then it will be a lot safer to do what you suggest...
So why don't you adopt RT's suggestion?

Moose

mr_hippo said:
A motorist who is not using a phone may also knock you off as could an old dear pushing a shopping trolley, a stray football, a cycling companion and a host of other causes - what do you intend to do about those? You quoted a figure - 20-29%, any sources to back this up?

You are right of course, any number of things could casue me to have an off, but the things you have suggested are not against the law of the land (although you could argue that old dears with shopping trolleys should be :angry: ).

The figures come from an old ROSPA report. The figures could be out of date, but I do have some trust in ROSPA.

It would be easy to take the safest option every time - it's harder to take the right one

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
mr_hippo said:

There are many things that could knock you off your bike. However a 1.5+ ton hunk of shaped metal powering towards you with a human with one hand with a mobile in and not in full control of their vehicle or even aware of things around them is a terrifying prospect in a collision. A car has more kinetic energy than any of the other things you mentioned. It is for this reason that people worry about it. I will take your example seriously when you can provide documentary evidence of say someone kicking a football at 900mph.

Illegal mobile phone use is incredibly common with drivers. Quite often one will see the same drivers using their phone on different days of the week/month.

Top Bottom