Ads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm just wondering why this site change was done with no announcement. There's nothing in the Site News section about it.

It took us by surprise tbh as it was an automatic function as a product of time elapsed since the funding drive. It wasn't a conscious on/off switch that one of us flipped.

As far as I can remember Shaun did state how long the ad's would be switched off for at the end of the drive.

I think the fact that the year has whizzed by so fast has caught us all on the hop, so to speak.

This thread has been flagged for Shaun's attention when he gets a moment as he will no doubt have his thoughts on where we go from here.

Sorry I can't be more constructive than this.

Two weeks at Linton Travel Tavern, remember to take your big plate as the hotel offers

"all you can fit on a plate" deal at breakfast

That sounds like a good deal. Definitely not a no deal.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Two weeks at Linton Travel Tavern, remember to take your big plate as the hotel offers

"all you can fit on a plate" deal at breakfast

Reminds me of when I was a student in the early 80's. Pizza Hut did a deal where you could have as much salad as you could fit on a single plate. One of my mates was an expert on what to put in each layer so it all stuck together and you could add another layer. Potato salad seemed to feature a lot.

Shaun

Founder
I just saw them myself. A question for @Shaun or anyone else that knows. Do the ads give revenue only when clicked, or do you get revenue just for displaying them? The answer will determine if I block them or not.
It's a combination of the two, depending on which ad wins the auction for the slot. They shouldn't be too obtrusive though, I've put them out of the way of the main page content and there aren't any auto-playing video ads, dating ads, or those giant-sized browser-crashers.

For anyone who would like to remove the banner ads from view whilst at the same time supporting the running costs of CC, I've added an account upgrade that is hopefully affordable to most members: https://www.cyclechat.net/account/upgrades - if it's not affordable but you'd still like to support CC's running costs and go banner-free, get in touch and we'll come to some arrangement.

As to ad-blockers, I can't stop anyone using them (and I understand why they have increased in popularity over the years), but if you do choose to block ads please consider creating an extra thread every three or four visits to help entertain and interest your fellow community members, and to grow our Google footprint and attract potential new members.

Of course it goes without saying, but doesn't hurt to say anyway, that your continued support is very much appreciated. :okay:

Thanks a lot,
Shaun

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
That's strange. I just unblocked this site on Adblock Plus and all I get is a plain white space at the top of each page - no advert!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For anyone who would like to remove the banner ads from view whilst at the same time supporting the running costs of CC, I've added an account upgrade that is hopefully affordable to most members: https://www.cyclechat.net/account/upgrades - if it's not affordable but you'd still like to support CC's running costs and go banner-free, get in touch and we'll come to some arrangement.
Excellent - that is what a lot of us had been asking for even before the ads started appearing. I will sign up next time I log in from my laptop.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Not a fan of the ads, obvs, but at least the targeting is getting better. :smile:

Top Bottom