Adusting Brake Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twitchboy

Regular
This brake pad is rubbing against the rim too much for my liking. I need to adjust it but for the life of me nothing I do seems to work. What do I adjust to move it away from the rim just a little? Cheers.

brake.jpg

Broadside

Guru
You see that small screw to the right of the Allen bolt, screw that screw out a bit on the brake arm on the other side; the screw is already a fair way in on the side in the photo. That will reduce the tension on the other side allowing the arm in the photo to spring away from the rim.

OP
OP
T

twitchboy

Regular
Right I've taken a closer look and although my pad is rubbing against the rim, it would appear that it is not because it needs adjusting. I have now found a broken spoke on my wheel which appears to have given me a wobbly wheel and that is why it is rubbing against the rim. A broken spoke is not a DIY job I presume?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Right I've taken a closer look and although my pad is rubbing against the rim, it would appear that it is not because it needs adjusting. I have now found a broken spoke on my wheel which appears to have given me a wobbly wheel and that is why it is rubbing against the rim. A broken spoke is not a DIY job I presume?

It is for some people but probably not for you - not being funny by the way, but if you didn't know about the brake adjustment screw you probably won't know much about replacing spokes and truing wheels.

Zip down to your LBS for a swift (if they have the same type of spoke in stock) repair.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It is for some people but probably not for you - not being funny by the way, but if you didn't know about the brake adjustment screw you probably won't know much about replacing spokes and truing wheels.

Zip down to your LBS for a swift (if they have the same type of spoke in stock) repair.
+1
Installing and trueing a new spoke is a fairly easy job once you have a spoke key and know what to do .

Top Bottom