Advance booking of ferry to Holland - when/how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iorek

Hello,

I am planning the next year's summer holidays and one of the top two candidate routes so far is to take a ferry to Holland and cycle towards Berlin via Hamburg (LF1 then the Nordsee- and then Elbe-Radweg). Given that I am in Yorkshire, I thought of booking an overnight ferry Hull-Amsterdam and start there, but it seems there are no bookings open at any of the ferry companies at the moment (I also checked the Harwich route) for next year; I couldn't even check the prices for the July/August period.

Since I only once previously took a last-minute Dover-Calais ferry and have little experience, could you let me know when do they open/when would be the best time to book for July/August period and how much approximately does it cost to cross from Hull? I know I would need a cabin and I know there is a daily Harwich route which is cheaper since no cabin needs to be booked, but I would like to avoid getting to Harwich.

Thank you for the tips!
Best
IO

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Everything is up in the air now, so it is difficult to predict when bookings will open. Generally, ferries with cabins are cheapest as soon as booking opens and only ever get more expensive, but even that may have changed during this health crisis. Just keep checking - also watch the discount code sites because ferries are quite popular for discounting.

Are you sure Hull to Amsterdam still runs for passengers? I can see DFDS Newcastle to Amsterdam (actually Ijmuiden IIRC) and P&O Hull to Rotterdam, but P&O's Hull to Amsterdam "mini cruise" is now via Rotterdam and a coach. Ferry routes are also being shaken up by the health crisis and another self-inflicted trade crisis.

OP
OP
Iorek

Iorek

Heh, I did a double take after your message. You are correct... There are bookings for Hull-Rotterdam for 2021. A one way trip in the end of July is ~£170 for two people. I have no idea if this is a good price or not. Rotterdam is fine, it adds a day but I am relaxed about this trip as I can make it longer or shorter at any time.

The mini-cruises to Amsterdam are... similarly priced ("from £80pp") even though they include 2 night say in the city (although no bookings for 2021 are possible now). It makes me think if I can book a mini cruise and simply go with my bike and not show up for the return trip?

So I also checked Harwich to Hook of Holland - and the prices were available for 2021. Possibly they published the timetable in the beginning of November? Anyhow, Harwich one way overnight is ~£110 for two, which makes me think the £170 for the Hull route is not a bad price. But Newcastle-Amsterdam is ~£120 one way for two, so this route would be my preferred choice for now :-)

I now need to figure out logistics of the #2 on the list, Alpen-Adria route.

Thanks!
IO

OP
OP
Iorek

Iorek

Wow :ohmy:🤦‍♀️

But why am I surprised, I did try to take a bike on the Trans Pennine Express once or twice...

Thanks for the tip!
IO

Julia9054

Guru
Wow :ohmy:🤦‍♀️

But why am I surprised, I did try to take a bike on the Trans Pennine Express once or twice...

Thanks for the tip!
IO
I had a trip booked for May this year (which obvs didn't happen) we were going Hull - Zeebrugge, pottering round Belgium and the Netherlands for a week then coming back from Rotterdam.
The phone conversation was along these lines
"You can't do that, there is no public transport between Zeebrugge and Rotterdam"
"We will be cycling "
"That's not possible - it's too far"
Took quite some persuading before she would do the booking. I left the conversation with her convinced we were superheroes!
Hopefully intend to do the same trip next May.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iorek

Iorek

Nice. Expanding people's horizons ;-)

I have actually gone almost all the way through the booking at DFDS website to check what's going on and on their system I can book 2 bicycles, 2 people, 1 cabin! On the P&O website for Hull-Rotterdam, I can't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 20.56.36.png

mike chadwick

Astrobike
That's what I had booked for this year now carried over to 2021
only problem is p & o have dropped there Hull to Zeebruge route
for 2021

Julia9054

Guru
Hmmm - I booked through Direct Ferries because it was cheaper than going to P&O direct so it is Direct Ferries that have my voucher. I really wish I'd kicked up a fuss instead of accepting it now

mike chadwick

Astrobike
I wish they had not , but Hull Zeebrugge route is no longer on the P&O website,
I have requested a refund but I am not convinced I will get any money back

RobinS

Veteran
We have returned from longer (3 month) tours via the Hook of Holland to Harwich overnight service. We have always just booked it a couple of days in advance when we have been sure when we would get there. This has been in July/early August, but avoiding weekends have never had a problem.

Top Bottom