Advance booking of ferry to Holland - when/how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike chadwick

Astrobike
Definitely no P & O service from Hull to Zeebruge I have received an email
from P & O stating that as they no longer Run that route they will be issuing a
a full refund.
That's a good result as I was sceptical I would get any money back

graham56

Guru
P&O ferry from Hull to Europoort is the expensive crossing, but nice clean ferries. I’ve used the overnight ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland which is reasonably priced and decent ferry. The downside to that was the bastard of a journey from Newcastle, almost 10 hrs but that was due to crashes x2.
Cheapest is DFDS, N Shields to Ijmuiden but crap ferries. Dont travel Friday as the crossings are full of hen & stag parties.
My last was Dec 22 last year. Apart from our party of 3 there seemed to be hardly anyone else onboard.
I know the Uk is preparing for foreign travel but are other countries accepting passengers. When I was in Netherlands no passengers from Uk were allowed, although we could leave.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As other have said, DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam may be an option, depending where in Yorkshire you live. According to their website, they are taking bookings. I have used that crossing, but, not with a bicycle, so, cannot advise ease or otherwise of booking.

The service runs daily, leaving Newcastle (North Shields to be precise) at about 17:00 and arriving Amsterdam about 09:00. When booking a cabin, I would advise paying a little extra and get one above the waterline, in our experience, the cheapest below decks cabins are not compatible with a nights sleep (poor ventilation, and, too much engine noise).

Two final points,

if you are a Tesco shopper, you can get discounts on DFDS Services, using Tesco Vouchers

it is worth a phone call to their booking office to check for deals, on one occasion (with a car, and heading for Sweden), we bagged a return crossing deal, with camping vouchers, for less than the scheduled one way fare!

Top Bottom