Advanced military grade nanotube optimised chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

Military grade - whoever came up with that phrase has obviously never watched RTR squaddies chainging a tank track.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I could break anything the military gave me, and often did. More often it broke itself without any help from me.

Military grade can be shortened to CRAP

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
If the chains have been procured by DE&S, they'll have the wrong pitch links, weigh 10kg, only work below 20C, cost £10,000 a go, only work once before they need to be thrown away and arrive in time for the 2024 Olympics.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
So they are using a chain oil optimised for low friction, rather than for long life or resistance to being washed off.

"Can lead to power savings of up to 6W", apparently, but compared to what?
I've seen a test that reports that you can save 3W by using Extra Virgin Olive Oil instead of Purple Extreme, at a more normal power level of 200W, but that doesn't mean that using it is a good idea.

oldroadman

Veteran
Military grade? Anything that the MoD buys as cheap as possible. Ask any ex-serviceman about a certain weapon when it was first issued, nicknamed the "civil servant". Because it could not be made to work, and could not be fired.
So military grade chains? In a nutshell, PR spheroids. Still it will give the French something to moan to UCI about, just like "magic" (er, MAVIC, a French brand) wheels....^_^

Top Bottom