Adventure cycling to Greece from Montenegro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mihailo

Hello,

my one of two life wishes are to cycle to another country. A real adventure that will help me feel joy and freedom.
My pick is Greece. I love Greece. Do I need to say a reason? :smile:

I am very aware of the current situation of corona. I am aware that I'll need to take care of myself and as well others.

This would be my route: From Bijelo Polje (Montenegro) to Athenes (Greece).

I am aware that I'll need money. I've never done this before so I don't know much much money I really need. My guess is around 500 euros.

My plan is to: cycle during 'cold' hours (less during hot hours), camping (not often), staying in motels.

I have no problem spending 2-3 months on my trip. The longer it takes, the better (or not?). :smile:

I have a few questions that will help me make my dream come true. :smile: I want to thank you in advance for any help.

1. How much money do I need?
2. Do I need a constly bike with that slim tires? WIll a regular bike do its job?
3. How much time will it approx. take to get to Greece?

I've already made my list of the stuff I need in my backpack but I'll ask for an advice. What thing do I need in my backpack?

These are questions that I can remember of right now.

Thank you in advance. :smile:

Hello,

my one of two life wishes are to cycle to another country. A real adventure that will help me feel joy and freedom.
My pick is Greece. I love Greece. Do I need to say a reason? :smile:

I am very aware of the current situation of corona. I am aware that I'll need to take care of myself and as well others.

This would be my route: From Bijelo Polje (Montenegro) to Athenes (Greece).

I am aware that I'll need money. I've never done this before so I don't know much much money I really need. My guess is around 500 euros.

My plan is to: cycle during 'cold' hours (less during hot hours), camping (not often), staying in motels.

I have no problem spending 2-3 months on my trip. The longer it takes, the better (or not?). :smile:

I have a few questions that will help me make my dream come true. :smile: I want to thank you in advance for any help.

1. How much money do I need?
2. Do I need a constly bike with that slim tires? WIll a regular bike do its job?
3. How much time will it approx. take to get to Greece?

I've already made my list of the stuff I need in my backpack but I'll ask for an advice. What thing do I need in my backpack?

These are questions that I can remember of right now.

Thank you in advance. :smile:
Welcome @mihailo ^_^

If you're not aware CrazyGuyOnABike is the place for bije touring. Here is a list of journals for Montenegro and Greece (there will be more).

Inspiration & Information!

As to your questions
1.Money? As much as you spend!
2. No you do not need a costly bike - people have toured on all sorts. A good start in Touring is an 80's 90's Mountainbike (non suspension. Decent gearing, simple to maintain, cheap components. I tour on an MTB that has well over 20 years on the clock.
Whatever the bike, it should be comfortable, you should be familiar with it before you set off and it would be helpful to be able to carry out basic repairs.
Personally, I've learned that the bigger the tyre the more comfortable the ride.
3. How long? It depends on how fast you go! Some people ride 100 miles every day, others not so much.

I appreciate that my answers may seem silly but there are a lot of people touring on bikes of all kinds with vastly different budgets. The important thing to ask is what do you want to do?

Having read a lot about touring for a few years now, the budget of time is often a bigger problem than a budget of money for most. People can get by with little money, but a lack of time limits destinations and can add stress.

Organisations like Warmshowers or Couchsurfing can help make contacts and reduce costs.

Backpack?
While it has been done before, I'd strongly suggest taking the weight off you and onto the bike. Look at Panniers or even a secure way of attaching your backpack to the bike. It will increase stability (safety) and be far more comfortable.
As to what to have in it? A puncture repair kit and a pump. And a good book.

PS. Google Maps can be very unreliable as a bicycle route planner!

Good luck!

Top Bottom