Adventure road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jumbosausage1

Jumbosausage1

Thanks guys, I'm going into Evans today so will take a look at a few. I take on board about keeping it under £1k and that's what I'll do. There seems to be a better range at Evans than Halfords, is that fair to say?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Only you will know what's comfortable, but it is likely you will prefer a bike on which the saddle is close to the same height as the top of the handlebars.

There really is an ocean of choice at around £1,000, and you would be hard pressed to find a bad bike.

Establishing a relationship with a good local bike shop would be a benefit, especially if you are not keen on home maintenance.

Staff at the shop will also point you in the direction - literally - of local routes, and you may find out about group rides and clubs/groups.

I believe some shops will accept Halfords vouchers.

BigMeatball

Cycle heaven in York accept the halfords cycle2work scheme
https://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/finance

If you go the Halfords route (rather than independent), Cycle Republic is generally a better bet than Jack of all trades Halfords (and CR allow test rides). There’s one in Leeds
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/leeds-store

I highly recommend cycle republic too.

Bought my bike there and they were brilliant. You can do test rides, they help you with bike fitting, and they offer a free service 6 weeks after purchase (or at least they offered it to me).

U

User169

Adventure/Gravel/Cyclocross are pretty much the same type of bike with the same features: drop handlebars, larger tyres, aluminium frame with carbon fork, disk brakes. There are plenty of good brands from halfords and evanscycles to choose from: cannondale, pinnacle, boardman...they're all excellent bikes.

Agree that adventure/gravel are the same thing, but a true CX bike likely won't have the bigger clearances that are common on adventure/gravel bikes and won't have rack and mudguard bosses.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Boardman is called ‘CX’ and came with big knobbly tyres. No issue with fitting rack and full mudguards

BigMeatball

Short off-topic: I put some clip-on mudguards on my boardman adventure bike...took them off 10 minutes later because they made the bike look like something my grandpa would ride :laugh:

BUT, mudguards are a must if you're intending to use the bike for commuting and for any other situation where you can't take a shower immediately afterwards

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Adventure bikes is a new category invented to fill the gap for desire for a new bike after everyone who had a 26er MTB upgraded to a 29er or 650-er. Once that market was saturated, they searched for the next new thing and invented adventure bikes.

Not everyone with 26er MTB's "upgraded" to the bigger wheels and suspension. I have several MTB's, and they are 100% 26", 100% rigid, 100% steel, and 100% rim braked. And I see plenty of very similar "obsolete" bikes to mine still in regular daily use.

Top Bottom