Advice an a discussion point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richie

Hi guys

So can any one recommend any of the the following:

• A good low price waterproof over shoe (I don't wear spd's etc just normal shoes).
  • A really good bell, mine is essential but a bit rubbish so need a really good one.
  • A good mirror (not for racing bars).
  • Can any one tell me if BMX/Xsport style helmets are cool (temp wise) enough for long journeys, need a new helmet.

And the discussion point, do you think bells should be compulsory on bikes, I do.

I haven't got a bell I have a car horn....I suppose I will have to have it on and a crappy bell.:biggrin::tongue:

garrilla

If cyclists should be compelled to have a bell should should pedestrians and other cyclists be compelled to fore-go their ipods?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Bells are not just for peds. I was using mine on Sunday to move sheep from the road in Wasdale (why only the back sheep noticed each time I'll never know but it was quite surreal riding though the middle of the countryside pinging away at the bell :tongue:). Not sure about compulsory but definitely useful.

I would suggest a bmx style helmet is not going to have enough air flow to cool you down enough on longer rides.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
In case it's not blatantly obvious, there's no real need for bells on bikes. They can certainly be nice to have, and useful sometimes, but not necessary. They're utterly pointless for drivers, when was the last time you had a driver even hear that you rung your bell?

garrilla said:
If cyclists should be compelled to have a bell should should pedestrians and other cyclists be compelled to fore-go their ipods?

And car drivers should be banned their stereo systems, as well as being forced to drive with the windows down.
Deaf people should also be banned from the roads.

Yes?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bells, on bikes..good god..........noooooooooooooooooooooooo

PS A work colleague has one of those 'honking' horns taped to his bike.....get's mixed reactions he said, it either gets a smile/laugh, of 'f-off', both extremes.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
fossyant said:
Bells, on bikes..good god..........noooooooooooooooooooooooo

PS A work colleague has one of those 'honking' horns taped to his bike.....get's mixed reactions he said, it either gets a smile/laugh, of 'f-off', both extremes.

Do you mean like the Marx Bros horn? I have one. Not going to install it though (might for a laugh if I know it isnt going to get me killed).

I love bike bells. I have several, prefer the old fashioned comb ding-a-ling-a-ling type and the big ding-dong ones myself. The simple hammer bell you get with the bike from the shop is just naff, people see it as aggressive sometimes, and often when it rains they sit in a platform filled with water.

Top Bottom