Drying Clothes advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
What tips/tricks/gear do people have for drying their commuting clothes either at home or at work?

This week has been especially damp, whilst my office has a shower, it doesn't have any area to dry clothes beyond a piddly radiator in the shower room. What tricks or kit would people recommend to help dry kit during the day ready for the homeward journey? I'm thinking mostly related to shoes, as putting wet cycle shoes back on is unpleasant and I don't have spare shoes to switch to (unlike socks, bibs, jerseys).

13 rider

Guru
Newspaper in the shoes , surprisingly affective

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Winter boots. Waterproof leggings when especially wet - keeps water out of the top of the boots. Been in my winter boots since September. If no boots, waterproof overshoes.

Drying kit - I did have a oil radiator for that, but all heaters have been removed from the offices. We have a drying cabinet in a cupboard - bit of a faff to get to, but needs must. You could also use coat hangers and a desk fan to dry kit - done that many times.

Reactions: mjr

Dadam

Scrunched balled up newspaper is the fastest way, but change it every couple of hours if you can. Or move it around so the dryer bits are in the wetter parts.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I used to wear as little as possible on the way in; less to get wet, just cover your extremeties (head, ears, fingers). The rest is kept warm by body heat.

We also just had a small radiator - I'd take some hangers in if there are hooks above, or could you ask if some hooks could be put in?

Shoes, I just put upside down but they were usually still damp at the end of the day. Maybe wear some dry socks would stave off the initial cold and wet feeling, but once you get going and your feet warm up I didn't find it an issue.

Is it worth asking your work for more/better provisions for clothes drying and storage? They should have some sort of green travel policy or at the very least a few quid on putting some hooks or a rack above the radiator is not unreasonable

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Newspaper in shoes works a treat along with putting them on top of a radiator. With everything else around it to help dry.
I keep a spare pair of socks in my desk drawer.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you are not wearing winter cycling boots then get neoprene covers for your shoes. Hang up damp clothing where possible. Consider the clothing you are wearing and if it doesn’t drip dry quickly consider alternates.

Emanresu

If you are not wearing winter cycling boots then get neoprene covers for your shoes. Hang up damp clothing where possible. Consider the clothing you are wearing and if it doesn’t drip dry quickly consider alternates.

Cotton retains 3 times the amount of moisture compared to polyester so will take longer to dry pro-rata. What are the fabrics in use now?

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
All good advice. I'll be on the look out for spare newspapers to help with the shoes. I wear overshoes which helps for the most part, but since I don't wear long bibs or full wet weather kit I'm always going to get a bit damp.

I might push our workspace team if we can get a drying facility put in, even if just a small thing. We're a really small and open office, so try to keep it away from my "hotdesk" just to avoid inflicting the horrible damp & sweaty smell on others.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I personally wouldnt be hanging wet clothes up in an open office if they smell. People will complain and its not fair having to smell that all day.
I'd be asking for a cloakroom, drying area with a radiator etc or a dehumidifier etc.
I'd ask the boss in supervision.

Top Bottom