Cycling short advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Agree with those that say generic sports shorts are fine. I use some Adidas shirts for anything up to 10 miles without any issues.
I do have some decathlon shorts (rock rider I think) with a built in pad that are very comfy though for anything longer on the mtb or a full day out somewhere.
Another Decathlon vote here.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

It’s only 50 mins, you don’t need cycle specific shorts, any old shorts with some stretch , and underwear will do the job.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
For a ride of only 50mins, I wouldn't even bother putting padded shorts on. If I'm going to be on the saddle for more than 2 or 3 hours, then yes, but never for less.
Thats what I thought but I've really been feeling it after the 2nd 3rd day on the trot. Think I'm just nesh after the couple year break I've had to be fair 😂

Is your ride 2x50mins or 2x 25mins.

I only reach for bike shorts for rides of 1hr or longer.
For daily commuting you need a clean pair of shorts every day.

chris-suffolk

Problem with going cheap, is you probably end up buying multiple pairs over time, where-as buying better quality will require only buying once, being cheaper in the long run.

Just worn a pair of Assos bib shorts out after 7 years. Yes they were £100, but that's only £15 per year, so the cheap shorts have to last at least a year. And the Assos are really comfortable, and have been throughout their life, which you may or may not get by going cheap.

vickster

Legendary Member
He does say funds are low so may not actually have access to £100 for shorts (although I agree with the principle, I tend to buy branded higher quality shorts when heavily reduced online, eg £100 RRP to £50 or less)

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Is your ride 2x50mins or 2x 25mins.

I only reach for bike shorts for rides of 1hr or longer.
For daily commuting you need a clean pair of shorts every day.
It's 50 minutes there and 50 minutes back give or take when the winds bad or I've had a 12hr from hell shift sometimes an hour. Only 13 miles each way depending on route but hilly my side barnsley until I hit doncaster

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Problem with going cheap, is you probably end up buying multiple pairs over time, where-as buying better quality will require only buying once, being cheaper in the long run.

Just worn a pair of Assos bib shorts out after 7 years. Yes they were £100, but that's only £15 per year, so the cheap shorts have to last at least a year. And the Assos are really comfortable, and have been throughout their life, which you may or may not get by going cheap.
I agree with you but funds are low we lost night shifts during the whole lockdown and there's no sign of them coming back so my income has taken a hit. At the minute I'm riding 3 times to work one week 4 the other following my rota so it's not all the time but agree with you on the quality side of things and durability.

Top Bottom