How short before you'd just walk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've been looking for a new job because although I like my current one, I spend far too long in the car getting to and from it (too far to ride, public transport timings don't work well, and I can't work remotely)

I've seen one that's of interest that is (according to google) a cycle commute of under 10 minutes. I think by the time I've got the bike out at one end and locked it up at the other I'd be almost as quick walking. Add any change of gear because of heat / rain in to the mix and it gets even closer in time.

Which got me to thinking, what is the shortest distance you would commute by bike? Personally I think for this distance I'd walk sometimes and cycle mostly, if only because I'd kid myself on that I might take a longer route home.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
10 minutes by bike is about 30 walking. I often ride the mile to the post office or pink shop because the A10 is a pretty boring walk. Parking is easy and my bike is kept ready to ride in ordinary clothes straight out of the shed. Simple rain jacket if it's raining. There's no need to complicate clothing.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
4mph should be quite within most people's capability. My son has been known to run the 12 miles to work.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

At 10 minutes, I'd still cycle it but in civvies on a city bike with relaxed upright geometry. On a bike with dynamo lighting so it's grab and go. Assuming of course, there's somewhere secure and easy to access to lock it up at the other end. I'd probably keep the bike in the house on school nights so I could just carry it out with me.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to live just short of a mile from work, using the walking route. A smidge longer by bike as all the cut throughs were not bike friendly. Nor were a long flight of steps. By the time I had got the bike out and ridden to work, then locked up in the works secure bike area and then walked all the way around, it was quicker to just walk.

I will ride the 3/4km to the co-op to the nearly a mile to the Spar though. I have a WFH job. Sometimes I ‘ride to work’. Out of the back gate, around the block and in the front :rolleyes:

Gillstay

Über Member
Used to be 30 mins to walk to work, so almost always cycled and it was a nice distance to get to work in a positive state of mind.
No fancy gear just a windproof coat and cycle hat. Getting the motorbike out felt a bit of a waste of time in comparison.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
10 minutes by bike is about 30 walking. I often ride the mile to the post office or pink shop because the A10 is a pretty boring walk. Parking is easy and my bike is kept ready to ride in ordinary clothes straight out of the shed. Simple rain jacket if it's raining. There's no need to complicate clothing.

Google says 3 mins in the car, 6 mins on the bike, 17 mins on foot. So yeah, there is an 11 minute difference, which definitely makes the bike the better option. I wouldn't be going full lycra, don't worry - I was more thinking that I'd probably not want to ride in my suit jacket at least. I could leave that at work though I guess.

At 10 minutes, I'd still cycle it but in civvies on a city bike with relaxed upright geometry. On a bike with dynamo lighting so it's grab and go. Assuming of course, there's somewhere secure and easy to access to lock it up at the other end. I'd probably keep the bike in the house on school nights so I could just carry it out with me.
Agreed - I have an old rigid '26er' for pottering about town on - no dynamo but it does have a front drum brake.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My rule of thumb... if the walk is fifteen minutes or more, I'll get the bike out. If not, I'll just walk.

Slick

Guru
Walking any distance bores me to tears, so I take the bike for almost anything. That said, I think the shortest ride I do is to the shop, which is probably less than a mile away, but I don't think I've ever walked it.

Person

If Google says it's 6 minutes on a bike I'd assume the work place is a mile away. If you work in an office and need to dress well you would be better off walking unless it's raining and then use your car.

Person

Walking any distance bores me to tears, so I take the bike for almost anything. That said, I think the shortest ride I do is to the shop, which is probably less than a mile away, but I don't think I've ever walked it.
You sound like me. I'm lazy as well. I can't be bothered walking I ride everywhere.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
For a short while I had a job about a mile from home.
For a couple of weeks I did ride it, but then I got bored of the short distance, started walking it.
I wear a uniform at work, so need to change either way.
Because the job was near Aldi and Home Bargains, I would take my shopping trolley when needed,the way home was downhill :laugh:
Only if I wanted to go further afield after work I would cycle the mile to work.
If the distance is less than half an hour walk, I will walk rather than cycle.

I cycle to the Co-Op which is a 300-metre round trip, and is quicker than walking, including getting a bike out of the garage and returning it afterwards!

Big John

Guru
When I was working my workplace was about 2.5 miles from home so I cycled. Worked in an office and wore normal work wear throughout the year but obviously as the seasons changed I'd wear a coat and woolly hat when it got cold. Managed that way for 35 years. I did wear waterproof over trousers when it rained. Took me around 15 minutes to ride in. Would take longer now if I was still working due to a major road change which has now made it a daily gridlock. Boy am I glad I'm retired.

Top Bottom