Do you ever dismount and walk when turning right at a roundabout?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

Had a close call today when turning right at a dual carriageway roundabout. It's on my regular commute. As I was peeling off the roundabout, a car decided to join the roundabout in front of me. I shouted and swore at the driver (then apologised to the lady within earshot who was walking her dog). I was shook up with the adrenaline but I'm fine now. Maybe I'll walk it round tomorrow as I've lost my confidence at this roundabout.
Are there roundabouts where you regularly dismount and walk around?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No. There are some where I turn right onto a two-way orbital cycleway to make the right turn more simply with a different conflict that I find easier to manage. Walking would make me slow, unstable and vulnerable for longer when crossing the arms of the junction.

Alex321

Veteran
No.

There is one roundabout where I sometimes come at it on one of the shared-use pavements approaching it, and then I will stop where the the intersects an exit and only cross when clear.

This one. In the streetview pictures, the path isn't quite complete. They have since resurfaced it so that the bits shown protruding are now flush, and it is actually a better path than the road surface now. They are currently still working on the one on the A48 from Cowbridge direction.

But every other roundabout I ride past on the bike, I just use as I would in a car.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Treat a roundabout as though you are a car in terms of positioning in lane etc. Telegraph what you are about to do. But if you decide to get off and walk (presumably a pavement?) no one is going to criticise you. Do what feels safest for you. If this is regular, then I’d consider if there’s a better quieter way (even if a bit longer). No one needs daily traffic stress in their lives.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm sorry you've been shaken by the act of an unobservant motorist.

I only get off if I am somewhere unfamiliar and need to work out which exit I need. Otherwise I navigate the roundabout as if in a car; I do try to give very positive signals in good time.

As @mjr says there are roundabouts where I feel less safe walking with my bike. Junction 26 of the M5 comes to mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Treat a roundabout as though you are a car in terms of positioning in lane etc. Telegraph what you are about to do. But if you decide to get off and walk (presumably a pavement?) no one is going to criticise you. Do what feels safest for you. If this is regular, then I’d consider if there’s a better quieter way (even if a bit longer). No one needs daily traffic stress in their lives.

Yes, I ride in primary, make my signalling crystal clear, etc. It's just a shame that on this occasion I encountered a dopey driver who saw me on the approach to the roundabout but decided to twist instead of stick.

Once but to be fair I hadn't seen anything close to magic roundabout in Swindon before so didn't know how to traverse it. Scary riding it from the first time. Reminds me of my former MD driving a hire car round arc de triomphe roundabout a decade or so ago. Stressed him out!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I once hit the rear wheel of car who pulled out when I was passing exit 2 of my intended 3 when doing that. It does make one swear somewhat.

I was fortunately on a BMX, popped a small "endo" and was unscathed.

I did a couple of big roundabouts on shared use paths the other weekend, but that is because we were on the path to start with, but they can be slow and faffy, you end up going 30 meters down each exit you dont want just to get around.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
We have one here called Black Cat roundabout and I really hate using it coming from Llandudno Junction. It has traffic lights on it too but coming from that direction,, cars are coming round ever so quickly it can be a bit scary.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

We have one here called Black Cat roundabout and I really hate using it coming from Llandudno Junction. It has traffic lights on it too but coming from that direction,, cars are coming round ever so quickly it can be a bit scary.

Just Googled it. It looks nasty.

Sharky

Guru
No, but signal early, look over your shoulder and "look into the drivers eves". When you see a positive sign that he has seen you, by waving, flashing and slowing down, move out into the middle of the lane.

Similar tactic when reaching your exit and wanting to move left towards the exit.

But if you reach the roundabout, still on the left and the cars haven't let you out, absolutely no issue with dismounting or just waiting unti you know its safe.

Mike_P

Guru
But if you reach the roundabout, still on the left and the cars haven't let you out, absolutely no issue with dismounting or just waiting unti you know its safe.

Or go straight on. Stop. U turn. Left at the roundabout. Did then when the normally not that busy approach to a roundabout was anything but.

Top Bottom