Do you ever dismount and walk when turning right at a roundabout?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I don't like any traffic, especially since an altercation with a car about 15 years ago.

For a while I would have avoided large roundabouts entirely - taking the path or whatever.
But this is the commuting thread, and it was a regular evening commute of 13-14 miles that restored my confidence, including on A-road roundabouts (small ones, but busy).

My preference would be routes that avoid busy traffic including roundabouts, but when they are vital I have no problem cycling them any more.

They just need good observation, clear signalling, strong positioning and decent speed (with brakes covered). Eye contact with drivers would be a definite bonus, but isn't always possible to determine.

And the path can still be quicker than the road. PArticularly if the roundabout has stupid traffic lights on it.

vickster

Legendary Member
unless you're going to be riding on the A38 or A50 or working at Toyota, its difficult to see why you would be contemplating going on that roundabout in the first place?

Bingo for him

Last edited:

biking_fox

Guru
Also no walking. But also avoiding the nasty ones where possible. As above the 'cycle paths' are frequently worse as you keep dog legging and waiting at crossing points. Confidence and speed certainly help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I avoid the nasty ones - just can't be doing with the hassle - I know @I like Skol is a nutter :okay:, and Denton and Portwood are a nightmare, but there are alternative ways past them which, whilst longer are less of a death wish, and rides always need to be 'longer'.

The RB I got knocked off I avoided for a while as one direction was like a shooting gallery, and no matter what you did, if the driver didn't look you couldn't get out of the way. That's changed now as there is less traffic on it due to a re-design of the road layouts.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In an area I am familiar with, I would plan my route to avoid any roundabout or junction which I felt was dangerous enough to make me want to walk.

In an area I am unfamiliar with, if encounter a roundabout or junction which I feel is likely to get me killed/injured, I do what ever I feel is safest, for me.

A lot of it depends what mood I'm in but I tend to minimise roundabouts and/or choose the ones where I feel I can approach them OK. When I first started my job I used to go through the roundabout below at the bottom right on the minor roads (N&S) but I found the dual carriageway (E&W) too dominant and folks on the minor arms could be waiting for ages as the visibility to it is poor and its flow heavy, so I now take the dual carriageway which involves turning right at the roundabout at the left of the map. Its a pinch point in the road so its easier to get to the outside lane to turn right and I feel I can get in an assertive and visible position with good visibility my self (touch wood I cant recall an incident at this roundabout but I had a few at the other). Although on occasions I've used the shared farcility by the road and crossed at the puffin just west of the roundabout when I've been in a chilled out mode. And whilst I've done it once or twice I find it easier to turn right at a toucan before the eastern roundabout and take a back road and attack the Bullock Lane hill from the steeper but quieter side as it a left turn for me on and off of the steep bit.
1687206937400.png

mustang1

Guru
On the roundabouts I encounter daily, I feel they are all safe enough to allow me to stay on the roundabout.

If your confidence is shaken, then I think you're doing the right thing by taking it easy and perhaps soon you can venture back onto it. But there is nothing wrong with walking and it gives you a little break and stretch the legs at the same time while keeping you safe.

If I felt unsafe at a roundabout, I would absolutely get off and walk but so far I do not recall coming across any. If my family was riding with me, I'd be more likely to walk.

Top Bottom