How many commute with a mountain bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Welcome to the board, P4P. I used to ride/commute with my mountain bike when I worked five days a week in the office. Now that I only go in one day per week I just ride my bike mostly on the days I don’t have to go in. I have semi-street tires on it for the best of both worlds terrain. That is subjective of course, but it works for me. MTBs are great tough bikes if you don’t mind peddling an extra bit of weight. Mine is a1997 Bianchi Ocelot. Old school.

Where do you live and what do you ride? I live in Maryland in the U.S. My other ride is an aluminum Trek hybrid, but nothing beats the durability of a steel mountain bike. It will probably outlast me. It’s my fave of my bikes.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
When the occasion demands it, yes. But 99% of the time - too much like hard work, and difficult to fit proper mudguards.

20230119_080356.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Back in 2010 when I first started cycle commuting I just put slicks on my hardtail MTB and away I went. It was quick, functional and robust so worked well.

As time and season progressed I quickly realised I probably wanted mudguards, and because of the sweaty back issue also wanted to move any luggage from a backpack to a pannier. This would have been easily done but then I no longer had an MTB because going off-road would no longer just involve a quick tyre swap as there would now be a pannier rack and guards to deal with too.

To solve this I got a second bike, a hybrid fitted with all the commuter items I needed (lights, guards, rack) and the MTB was once again my weekend off-road toy. If I didn't need the MTB for MTB duties it would have still been a perfect commuter bike so I say go ahead and commute by MTB (as long as it isn't a full suspension or fat+ bike.....)

I used to commute on the bike in my profile occasionally, I added slick tyres and mudguards. As a 29er it rolled pretty well and I appreciated the low gearingon the hills!

fraz101

Everyday owned since new in 2008

Giant Rock SE mtb

Bullet proof

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Depends how far a "commute" is though, what territory it's over etc i guess ? A lot of difference between a couple and say even 10 miles. Especially in terms of comfort between an MTB / Hybrid riding position compared to traditional drop-bar geometry......

**Interestingly; i've organised a 50 mile ride for Dementia in July. Perhaps 10 of us will be riding. And 2 of those ('Keen' cyclists if nothing else) stated they will be using their MTB's due to the comfy riding positions.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to commute on a fixed gear road bike, with panniers etc. This was ideal. Things change though, and my current commute is a mix of off road routes, which isn't really suitable on a road bike. I'm currently running semi-slicks which just about deal with gravel and mud, on a couple of sections of my commute, but most of it's paved. I do have a canal route too, but that does need off road tyres, and I'm not doing it in winter due to the mud

figbat

Slippery scientist
My commute by bike is around 60% off-road, much of it along the Ridgeway. A MTB or gravel bike is essential. There is a road route but it is much longer and uses roads I’d rather stay off during rush hours.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have thought about a gravel bike, but it really wouldn't be much faster, maybe a couple of minutes. Just changing from studded tyres to semi-slick's knocks off 5 minutes over 10 miles for me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My commute is/was 10 miles each way on the road. The hardtail MTB with slicks was quick and comfortable.

I replaced it with a similar geometry rigid hybrid and that was used for many years and also for my road leisure rides of any distance including some100 mile forum group rides.

Flat bar bikes are perfectly practical for road riding.

Top Bottom