How many commute with a mountain bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Commuted by mountain bike for about 7 years. Used to arrive at work a bit muddy in the winter. Loved my woodland trails to work and back. Then I returned to road bikes …

I used a basic Trek MTB to commute, 40km roundtrip.
No suspension, touring, puncture resistant tyres, mudguards, rack, dynohub for light.
Cheap, durable, less likely to be stolen, easy to maintain, cheaper components.
Commuting became one of the best parts of my day.

And if I want to go further afield......

IMG_20210707_072304.jpg

The best one I had for that was a Ridgeback Storm, circa 2003. That was a great bike. Really quick in town, and not too flash. My tourer was comfortable, but less exciting.

biking_fox

Guru
I'm on a 'sport tour' bike. Steel frame, rack, Hub gear (best commuting choice ever), guards, drops and toeclips. Fast enough on the roads (although I can tell the difference when I ride road bike) and can cope with gravel and towpaths.

What even is a mountain bike these days.
I have an urban bike with 26" wheels but this is no longer an MTB size it is just a wheel size.
I like the old school rigid MTB for a lot of things but in my experience the forks are too stiff for just riding on the road and sus forks are too heavy.
My bike came with MTB flat bars but I had to switch them out for some with reaward angle to relieve arm tension.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Does this still count as a mtb ^_^.
Suspension fork replaced with a kona p2 rigid, semi slick tyres and rack for panniers to carry pretty much everything. Has been my main commuter and 'do everything' bike for around 18 months now however a new job and potential gravel bike purchase next week may mean it gets retired in a few weeks unfortunately.
MTB's are great imo for doing it all, 6 mile commutes are great on it and I did a couple of 80-100 milers on it last year and survived.

20230225_095908.jpg

ren531

Über Member
I've been commuting on my Islabike Beinn 29er for over ten years, it's evolved into a Sram s7 hub geared machine with hub dynamo and partial chain case and is ideal for winter commuting, but I also use my vintage bikes in summer when the weather is better. Mountain bikes are great robust tough bikes, if maybe not the most efficient in terms of energy used.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Does this still count as a mtb ^_^.
Suspension fork replaced with a kona p2 rigid, semi slick tyres and rack for panniers to carry pretty much everything. Has been my main commuter and 'do everything' bike for around 18 months now however a new job and potential gravel bike purchase next week may mean it gets retired in a few weeks unfortunately.
MTB's are great imo for doing it all, 6 mile commutes are great on it and I did a couple of 80-100 milers on it last year and survived.

View attachment 682321

Nice bike and nice house.

Top Bottom