Cycling short advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Aldi are starting their cycling bits tomorrow 26/3. Always found their cycling products good.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
decathlon stuff has always been well priced and good spec , i prefer bib shorts as i like the higher back to keep my back warmer on chilly mornings but im on a road bike so bent over more than a hybrid/ mtb position
planet x have their bibs on offer , these are good for the price .I found the clubman light good enough for longer rides , the pro clubmans that are more expensive i found to have a different design that didnt work so well

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXCLBS/planet-x-clubman-light-bib-shorts

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I've had items from decathlon before and they've been decent but that was a while back. Completely forgot about planet x will definitely have a browse on their site. Thanks for the reply guys my rear end will be very grateful 😂

Good morning,

At the moment I am doing a commute of similar although slightly longer duration, 70-90 minutes. it takes longer in the morning as there is no shower at the destination.

I am quite happy wearing Sports DIrect own brand (sorry Slazenger) general purpose shorts, they have the advantage of being loose so there is a much better air flow over the legs.

I do find that this is the limit for me, further than this padded shorts are really much better, but if needs must then you may be happyish with similar especially if you already have them. I know that it is "obvious" that cycling must be done in cycling shorts, but maybe not........ :-)

I have tried Sports Direct (Muddy Fox) cycling shorts before at a similar price to the Decathlon ones linked to and although they were well made the material didn't breath, so I ended up with sweaty legs very quickly.

I have mixed feelings about Aldi stuff, ten years ago it was brilliant but it seems to be getting closer to what I would expect for the price, having said that I will pop in for a blue jersey and see what they are like this year. The problem seems to be that not enough people bought the really well made stuff, many who would have been happy with the price wouldn't buy it as "it is from Aldi so must be rubbish" and many of those who were paying close attention to price didn't want the higher quality.

This was brilliant and they did cycling shoes which were great for me as I didn't attach any cleats, which seems to be a common failure point for really cheap shoes. I haven't seen shoes for a few years now, it seems that Aldi knows what will sell and source that.

I loved the fake sponsors' logos, but a few years later the jerseys became much thinner and felt a lot cheaper.

Bye

Ian

Mike_P

Guru
There's an aldi literally at the top of my road so that's ideal thank you
IMO the quality of Aldi cycling clothing has fallen; last purchase was a pair of mitts which wore far too much in comparison to older ones and also beware that the sizing is typically far larger than normal on shorts in particular.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
IMO the quality of Aldi cycling clothing has fallen; last purchase was a pair of mitts which wore far too much in comparison to older ones and also beware that the sizing is typically far larger than normal on shorts in particular.
I think I'll take a look and if the quality seems iffy I probably would at it safe and get a pair from decathlon. I'm not racking up high mileage at the moment 26 mile round trip but hopefully get a few longer rides on my days off.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've had items from decathlon before and they've been decent but that was a while back. Completely forgot about planet x will definitely have a browse on their site. Thanks for the reply guys my rear end will be very grateful 😂
You’ll pay £7 for delivery from PX though

presta

Guru
I have tried Sports Direct (Muddy Fox) cycling shorts before at a similar price to the Decathlon ones linked to and although they were well made the material didn't breath, so I ended up with sweaty legs very quickly.
I have a pair of Muddy Fox shorts. I've not noticed any problem with breathability, but the pad in them is half way up my back instead of under my bum. That's probably why it looked like they'd been returned, the pack had been opened and they were reduced from £75 to £15.

Pad position aside, they're the best fitting shorts I've ever had. They have a strange panel layout that I've never seen anywhere else, and they're the only ones I've ever had that are long enough in the leg. I'd buy them again, but not at £75.
1648309894928.jpeg

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a pair of Muddy Fox shorts. I've not noticed any problem with breathability, but the pad in them is half way up my back instead of under my bum. That's probably why it looked like they'd been returned, the pack had been opened and they were reduced from £75 to £15.

Pad position aside, they're the best fitting shorts I've ever had. They have a strange panel layout that I've never seen anywhere else, and they're the only ones I've ever had that are long enough in the leg. I'd buy them again, but not at £75.
View attachment 637115
Nothing Muddy Fox from Sports Direct was ever really sold for £75…other than to spin a fake big discount :wacko:

Top Bottom