Advice and help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lesco

Good afternoon guys

I am after some advice and help please if I may, I am 59 years old and I am very unfit, I've been to the doctors and after examining me he has said I can cycle to get fit again, I want a good all round bike that will take my weight, I weigh nearly 26 stone, Im 6' 0" tall, it's all cycle path where I live, and the route I have mapped out takes in around 6 miles of cycle path, fairly flat with no steep hills or anything, my plan is to start off and see if I can complete one lap and then build on that as I gradually build up my fitness and lose weight.

I am looking at a budget of £500 to £800 to spend on a road bike, Im not bothered at this stage about riding gear as it will be shorts and hoodie until the weight comes off.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
@Lesco That is a pretty respectable budget for a first bike. I obviously don't know what your local bike shop has in but Evans and Cycle Surgery or WIggle online will probably have some good deals this time of year as the seasons are changing and they will probably have sales as well. You might want to consider a hybrid first so that you can do slightly off-road trails and it might also handle your weight better (no offence mean't) Talk to the guys in Evans or Cycle Surgery or your local bike shop (LBS) and they will probably be able to point you in the right direction and then by it cheaper from Wiggle lol.

Enjoy .:smile:

Hutch118

Good for you Lesco, well done on making this change to your lifestyle.

As they say above, go and have a good look about in the shops and you'll be able to get something decent for your budget. Once your out and about, the fitness will get better and you will feel much better and very soon as well. Cycle shorts will let you ride in better comfort as well.

It's addictive mate. Let us know your progress.

Hutch

RichardB

Slightly retro
Take this the right way ... but speaking as a heavyish bloke (down to 14 st from almost 18 st) I would advise that you reserve a little of your budget for a decent saddle. If you weigh a lot and your legs aren't fit yet (and therefore don't support much of your weight), the saddle that comes with most bikes can crucify your nether regions. Manufacturers don't like to spend a lot on the saddle of a bike, as they know that many riders will substitute with their own old favourite anyway. It can be like sitting on a beer bottle, and nothing takes away the fun of riding like a sore @rse. I put a Brooks B67 on the Wisper within a few days, and it's like riding along in an armchair, but I can still power along with it. It's a proper wide, old-fashioned thing with springs, but now it's broken in I don't think I will ever get rid of it as long as I have an upright bike. £70 well spent. Weighing less and with stronger legs, I put a B17 Narrow on the Dawes, and that is excellent too. The reason the TdF guys get away with those tiny saddles is that they are pedalling so hard they probably only have 20% of their weight on them. And they weigh as much as a leaf anyway. If you are going to be sitting on it like a sack of spuds (which I have done for a long time myself), comfort for your bum will make the whole experience much more pleasant.

Bikes fail at the wheels. Strong wheels have more spokes and the max spoke count you can find is 36. These are stronger than the 32 spokes wheels normally found on mid-range bikes.
Find a decent local bike shop where they can take a reasonable mid-market 36spk wheel and make final adjustments to the spoke tension for maximum strength.
Heavy riders need to run wider tyres. I would suggest 32mm as a minimum. If you want a "road bike" I would suggest a cyclo-cross or touring style one, which has clearance for fatter hybrid-style tyres.
If you want to ride for fitness all through winter (except the frozen bits) you will need to fit mudguards. If you want to get in extra saddle time on shopping runs and errands, you may need a rear luggage rack. Look for a bike withe threaded eyelets for bolt-on accessories.

GuyBoden

Guru
Take this the right way ... but speaking as a heavyish bloke (down to 14 st from almost 18 st) I would advise that you reserve a little of your budget for a decent saddle. If you weigh a lot and your legs aren't fit yet (and therefore don't support much of your weight), the saddle that comes with most bikes can crucify your nether regions. Manufacturers don't like to spend a lot on the saddle of a bike, as they know that many riders will substitute with their own old favourite anyway. It can be like sitting on a beer bottle, and nothing takes away the fun of riding like a sore @rse. I put a Brooks B67 on the Wisper within a few days, and it's like riding along in an armchair, but I can still power along with it. It's a proper wide, old-fashioned thing with springs, but now it's broken in I don't think I will ever get rid of it as long as I have an upright bike. £70 well spent. Weighing less and with stronger legs, I put a B17 Narrow on the Dawes, and that is excellent too. The reason the TdF guys get away with those tiny saddles is that they are pedalling so hard they probably only have 20% of their weight on them. And they weigh as much as a leaf anyway. If you are going to be sitting on it like a sack of spuds (which I have done for a long time myself), comfort for your bum will make the whole experience much more pleasant.

I totally agree, I found that a good saddle is an essential item, especially as I am too "a big bloke on a bike".

Well done, 18 stone to 14 stone is a wonderful achievement, well worth all the pedalling. :smile:

Last edited:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
First then anything... Congrats on trying to change..!!! That is half the battle..!! No amount of illness or others telling you other ways would change your mind if you didn't want to.

I walked that path that you are starting now and is not easy but you "wanting to" is all you really need. I went from 150 kilos, if not more to my actual weight of 95 kilos and I am still fighting to keep it there or go down a bit more.. Never ending battle..!! But I am fit as hell now...!!!

I would go with the suggestion of a CX (cross bike) if has disc brakes better for the wet conditions.. Why?

Stronger frame, lets face it we are not ballerinas..

The geometry of the bike is more relaxed then a full road bike... (my opinion)

Thicker tires, make the ride more enjoyable as it gives you more stability.

As others mention is more versatile as well.. (commuting, light off road adventures, puncture resistant, room for mudguards, panniers)

The other thing I will strongly suggest is find a local bike shop and establish a nice relation ship with them... Assuming you are new you will have a million questions that they will be more then capable to answer and get you out of little trouble right away.. (I found this kind of support highly valuable)

At last if you would like to take me as an example and maybe see what worked for me to lose the weight and get healthier follow the link to my blog and read the full story of How did it happen?

Best of luck and remember you are not alone on this one..!!!

Keep us posted.!

Top Bottom