advice for a beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robtb

good afternoon!

since the lockdown I have been enjoying quite a few rides, and I'd like to get a bit more serious- but I am clueless.

I have a Kellys Neos hybrid, I got it in 2010 but it was barely used, still I think its still a decent enough bike so no need to upgrade. But I do have some issues I was wondering if anyone could help with?

1. Tyres- they're 10 years old, have never been changed and I need some new ones. Any recommendations for a hybrid? I'm cycling about 20km per ride up & down hills on tracks and bumpy country roads- not off road but certainly not smooth surfaces. I don't really want to sacrifice speed too much, just a good all round tyre.

2. Is it easy enough to align the gears? When I change I'm getting a 'clanking' sound as if I'm stuck between gears- can I tackle this myself?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
1. Tyres- they're 10 years old, have never been changed and I need some new ones. Any recommendations for a hybrid? I'm cycling about 20km per ride up & down hills on tracks and bumpy country roads- not off road but certainly not smooth surfaces. I don't really want to sacrifice speed too much, just a good all round tyre.
Welcome!

Look at the size markings on the side of the tyre, preferably the ISO tyre spec which is a two-digit number (the width in mm) a dash and a three-digit (the rim diameter in mm, probably 622). I like Schwalbe's Delta Cruiser, which aren't too rough but still mostly big enough for a soft ride and capable of riding OK on gravel/stone/dirt, usually in a 37-622, but they do only have kevlar-type puncture protection, not the thick stiff belt of the loved/hated Marathon.

2. Is it easy enough to align the gears? When I change I'm getting a 'clanking' sound as if I'm stuck between gears- can I tackle this myself?
It's not too difficult but it can take some time to perfect. Give it a go but after 10 years, you might have rusty or kinked cables and need a new set of gear cables for it ever to work well, probably Shimano derailleur type, as shown in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

One thing most videos forget to mention is that you should use either a JIS (rare) or (if the screw is double-headed as most are) a straight screwdriver for the shift screws. Do not use a Philips or Pozi screwdriver because it'll chew a JIS head screw.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Why do the tyres need changing if the bike has not been used much? Unless the bike has been stored in sunlight for 10 years and they have got so perished they are falling apart, I doubt there will be much wrong with them. One of my bikes is still running 1985 vintage tyres and another one is on a tyre from 1988! They are still holding up fine.

CXRAndy

Guru
Unless tyres are heavily cracked. they will do for a little while.

Post a clip on YouTube of your shifting/noise issue. Get some one hold the rear wheel off ground while you pedal and shift gears

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What this lot say. Tyres should be fine if out of sunlight. Gears, easy to sort, watch you tube. You might benefit from new cables though, which is another you tube video.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I agree that the tyres should be perfectly good, I've had the same tyres on my town bike for 8 years and they're good for more yet. It's more the heavy mileage that puts paid to tyres. Or direct sunlight.
Adjustment of gears is a case of watching a YouTube video and practicing, or getting the bike shop to do it. It's not difficult to learn if you have basic tools, but as mentioned you may well benefit from new cables and a professional set up by a bike mechanic.

Welcome!

Top Bottom