Advice for a total noob!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

Ham

First stage

Well, first stage underway. I have bought a Dawes Giro 500 2007 and reasonable windproof jacket various odds and sods – toolkit/HV jacket/luminous strips/lights/helmet/socks? And this weekend will get to the LBS for jersey/padded shorts and shoes.

Seen me Doc to get a quick check to see that I’m not going to keel over after the first mile and, more importantly, get the anti-smoking drug that will help with the fag busting.

When I’m all sorted and kitted out I will begin the training - 5- 10 miles every other day for a couple of weeks before attempting my first commute (maybe one way, depending how I feel!)

I’ll keep you posted

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ham said:
Got a Giant SCR 3 2008 instead for £370..is that good?

Giant SCR 3 is a great all-rounder, particularly for a newbie with commuting aspirations. IMO better than Dawes Giro.
The frame is good and comfortable, the fit is more for comfort than balls-out racing, good carbon fork, Sora is a well-known quantity, robust and durable.
The bike will take full mudguards (important for winter commutes) and will also take a rear-rack for lightweight duties. The bikes no slouch, a 50 y/o pal bought one last year and he happily screams along at 20 mph.

It's a lot of bike for the money. It would be worthy of lighter wheels and tyres to up its performance if you ever needed too.

OP
OP
H

Ham

Ok just back from me mini holiday and no fags for 6 days. The Giant has been delivered and is sitting in my front room (much to the Ball & Chain's annoyance!) Now, obviously, it was semi assembled and I was wondering (being a non mechanical sort of geezer) was there any advice on these forums as to correctly putting the front wheel/handlebars/brakes/seat together? I seem to remember a video somewhere but, for the life of me, I can't find it!

buggi

Bird Saviour
i started out with a Carrera from Halfords. that would be in your price range. There is a lot of bike snobbery about Halfords but Carrera are ok (stay away from the apollo stuff) and it's more to do with the monkeys that work behind the desk.

if you're unfit and thinking about a 17 mile commute each way (which is what i do) i would suggest this.

Leave what you can at work and carry the least possible. Do you have shower's there? you will probably need one. Can work supply a locker for you to put your clothes in?

if you can leave stuff at work, a road bike would be better than a tourer because it's lighter.

Is there an alternative way of getting home to begin with, ie. train? it's quite a jaunt when you haven't done it before (the first time i did it, i was as unfit as you and nearly died by the time i got 5 mins away... i thought "this is a bad idea!") but i did do it and two weeks later i was thinking this is a breeze (well, not quite but i managed it a lot better) but i've never smoked either. you might find your really knackered if you do round trips to begin with, so a good way would be to either cycle to work and take the bike on the train home, or just do it a couple of times a week to begin with.

working up to 3 times a week round trip to begin with will be sufficient to substantially increase your fitness level. don't ride too fast or your energy levels will drop during the afternoon and you'll be sleeping at your desk!

then when you get as fit as some of the boys on here you can do it 4 or 5 times a week and have buns of steel.

the first time is hard, but it will only ever be easier after that. even when i haven't been on my bike for a few months i slip back into it really easily and i've never felt like i did the first time i did it (and spent all day wondering how i was gonna get back up the really big hill i had freewheeled down!) (i didn't, i had to get off and walk but i've made it up everytime since)

OP
OP
H

Ham

Hi – back again

Well it’s been 8 weeks without a fag and my first commute. Not to bad, but my bum was incredibly sore about 15 miles out!

Only real problems was with the heavy traffic and the terrible state of the cycle paths on the dual carriageways, I mean, what is the point of tarmacking to edge of the cycle path and then ignoring the cycleway?

Still. I’ll be back on the bike tomorrow (taking it steady!)

Tynan

Veteran
hey ham and good man, that's a proper distance to commute, respect. it'll change your life, honest, I took it up eight months ago and I've shifted two and a half stone and got some lovely tone

arse and indeed all of you takes time to adjust but it will, stick to it, when you're ready, consider bib shorts/longs, they're more comfy, clipless pedals are a no brainer as soon as you're ready for them, almost all proper cycle kit is worth it when you're ready, it's all good gear

you're riding along dual carriageways? what is your route exactly, it's worth finding a route that suits you although with that distance I can understand wanting a direct head down route

keep us updated yeah?

Shaun

Founder
Ham said:
Well it’s been 8 weeks without a fag and my first commute. Not to bad, but my bum was incredibly sore about 15 miles out!

8 weeks - excellent, well done! :ohmy:

Not sure which is more impressive - a starter commute of 15 miles or kicking the fags? :tongue:

Keep up the good work. :angry:

Cheers,
Shaun

All good advice. I just wouldn't go for a mountain bike. A good tourer, with Marathon Kevlar tyres, and you souldn't get many punctures. I have never had any since using them. Keep to roads rather than paths, as they have more debris on them.
I have ridden a Claud Butler Daleman for 25 years and it has never let me down.

OP
OP
H

Ham

Now done me third 20 mile commute (only one way each time) and have cured the problem with the ‘lower regions’.

Don’t wear boxers under the cycle shorts….Doh! ;)

Slight problem – noticed my front tyre was slightly down so gave it a vigorous pump and managed to bend the valve, it is now stuck out but not (I think) losing air.

Should I get a pair of pliers and bend it back or just leave it - as it did 20 miles bent with no (seemingly) ill effects?

you're riding along dual carriageways? what is your route exactly, it's worth finding a route that suits you although with that distance I can understand wanting a direct head down route

keep us updated yeah?[/quote]

I am going from Fullwood in Preston to Lytham St.Annes and the route takes me through heavy traffic till I reach a series of dual carriageways which takes me to Lytham. Don’t mind the dual carriageways so much – it’s the 15 sets of lights before I get out of Preston!;)

Top Bottom