Advice for first proper sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
OK last year I did the 36 mile Robin Hood ride, but my first real sportive will be the Cheshire in 2 weeks. The 47 of course, more than enough for now.

I bonked on the RH, got it all wrong. Didn't stop, got carried away with enjoying the first 30, didn't eat.

So planning to take the 47 nice and easy, stop at least once per hour, drink early, carry jelly babies and flapjack - allergic to bananas unfortunately. Dates seem good for energy and potassium.

All advice welcomed. I'll be happy to finish, but if I can average 12mph I'll be happy.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Just relax and enjoy it. Don't try and keep up with the racers as they will disappear into the distance right quick. Just pace yourself, relax and take in the great views. Hydration (or lack of) is the prime reason for bonking, so remember to take regular sips and refill at the stops. Slow release, high carb foods will help, so fuel up on porridge for breakfast, and take flapjacks with you. Some boiled sweets or jelly babies can help for a instant sugar lift, but also grab a handful of gels if you can.

Having a wingman (teamed up on the ride or bring one with you) will help motivate you and pace you over the route, so try and locate someone of similar speed and ability.

Most importantly.....Enjoy it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't get too carried away with the speed of some riders :whistle: - Did the Manchester 100 a couple of years back, went with a fast group that hit the hammer almost as soon as we got out of the start - wasn't a pleasant ride TBH - some of the guys wouldn't talk, one wouldn't get off the front. Then I cramped really badly with 30 miles to go. The one before I did faster, but it was less windy, but had a really great time with a bunch of chatty cyclists, we all worked well, and those that were knackered just stayed off the front.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Don't get too carried away with the speed of some riders :whistle: -

Agreed, don't focus too much on performance (that's for racing, not sportives). It's nice to go fast in these kind of events, but it's better to complete the course in an enjoyable manner. If you find yourself to be competitive animal, in the future you could always start racing...

Top Bottom