Hybrid Bike Tire for ~300 pounds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

Long story short, I am just beginning my biking journey. My son wanted to learn how to ride a bike and I sit for 8-12 hours a day, and I was definitely in need of some good ol' fashioned excersize. Hadn't ridden a bike since I was a teenager (I am now coming on 35 years old).

Anyway, I'm about a week in and have worked my way up to just a little over 20 minutes and just below 4 miles. For now, I am just riding in the neighborhood, since there is no excuse for not doing so (ie nowhere to drive to).

My bike is a GHOST Square Cross 1.8 and it has Kenda Flindridge Sport 40-622 (700-40c). The front tire seems a little more squished than I would prefer. Basically it seems flat or flat-ish. The tire sidewall states 30-50 PSI, I've inflated up to 60 PSI and no difference. I think maybe I am just to heavy for the tire, along with the fact the tire isn't a road bike tire. I weigh 280 pounds. My intention is NOT to go to a full road bike tire, but maybe something more road bike tire-ish that was still in the hybrid space would work better for my weight? Does higher PSI = more load rating?

I tend to overthink things, so not sure if I should look more into this or just ride what I have? I mean either way I'm going to ride it but still lol.

Attached are some screenshots from Zepp and Strava of my most recent ride. I was totally gassed afterwards! Especially on the uphill. I was definitely petering out a bit.

Added a pic of the tire ad well. Excuse the dog hair or whatever is on the tire lol.

Regards,

Philip

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407_130847_Zepp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_130847_Zepp.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240407_130723_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_130723_Strava.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240407_131720_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_131720_Strava.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240407_131104_Zepp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_131104_Zepp.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240330_155215.jpg
    20240330_155215.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular
Welp,
Since I didn't get any replies here I went ahead and just ordered up some new tires.

I went with Schwalbe Marathon Almotion // 40-622 (28x1,5") V-Guard. Hoping they are better tires. I didn't want to go to a full road setup tire, but IDK just hope they'll roll better with my fat butt in the saddle TBH.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Welp,
Since I didn't get any replies here I went ahead and just ordered up some new tires.

I went with Schwalbe Marathon Almotion // 40-622 (28x1,5") V-Guard. Hoping they are better tires. I didn't want to go to a full road setup tire, but IDK just hope there roll better with my fat butt in the saddle TBH.

Hi Phil, congrats on getting on the bike. It's the most important step. There are a lot of riders on this forum that are around your weight. I'm not far off and I ride 28mm tires around 100psi on my road bike and 35mm tires at 70psi on the others. The Schwalbe marathon tires you ordered are superb tires. I have them on two of my three bikes. I would ride them close to the max psi until your weigh starts to come down, which it will.

The folks on this site are very knowledgeable and will happily give you their opinions on any subject. Often without being asked. Photos of bikes are always welcome.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there @phillpgonzales3
With fatter tyres, you had 40mm tyres on, they will seem to be a bit squishy because of the size of the carcass. Also the lower pressures they have to run at.
The Marathon tyres you have chosen are very good all rounders.
An answer to another question is, just get out there and ride. Don't go overboard and try to massive rides to start with. Build up slowly adding a mile or so every week and you may be surprised how quickly your fitness improves.
Welcome to the forum.

I am just beginning my biking journey
Good for you!

My son wanted to learn how to ride a bike
Don't forget that!

Hadn't ridden a bike since I was a teenager
Similar story here ... Be careful! You never know where that bike might take you!

Anyway, I'm about a week in and have worked my way up to just a little over 20 minutes and just below 4 miles.
Good for you! Measuring by time is often recommended. It can be easier and starting off motivation is needed to build a regular habit.

Basically it seems flat or flat-ish.
Highlighting the important word

The tire sidewall states 30-50 PSI, I've inflated up to 60 PSI and no difference
WHOAH!
I would never exceed the range. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who's back on a bike after 20 years. A blowout on the front wheel going down a hill is not pleasant.

I tend to overthink things
Well, at least you recognise that! ^_^

My suggestion is to look at your issue differently from 'what tyre do I need' to 'what do I need to know about tyres and how should they look?'
A part of owning a bike is finding a good bike shop. This was your chance. Pick a quiet time, roll in and ask some questions. The shop that listens and explains is the one you want.

I'm not suggesting you run to the shop with every little thing but manufacturers put pressure limits on tyres for a reason.

A better alternative would be to seek out any kind of bike co-op in the area.

Attached are some screenshots from Zepp and Strava
If that's your thing, go ahead and record and analyse. When I started commuting on my bike I loved the ride. The early morning starts, the silence. The nature. Most surprisingly I arrived at work fresh and ready to go. Then I got Strava. And started racing myself. It took me a while to figure out why I wasn't enjoying my commute, why I was arriving tense and sweaty. I stopped measuring myself and the fun and pleasure came right back.

No harm to measure distance and maybe speed to identify progress but don't forget what you saw, what you felt, who you met, maybe the father son time and to give some time to appreciate the satisfaction of doing something healthy and fun.

I now use Strava but not as a performance analysis tool. It has a great feature that allows me to dump any photos taken on the ride so I have a record of each one. Where I started, where I finished and what interested me along the way. A great motivational tool for the days when I don't feel like going out.

You may find Cycle.Travel to be useful in picking out decent places to ride in San Antonio. It brought me from New Braunfels to San Antonio on a cold, wet December day with no problems at all. If you're into camping there are great State Parks around for exploring on bikes.

Best of luck to you!

I'm a heavy rider and many people advised me to get lower weight tyres to decrease rolling resistance and I ended up with some fairly light Schwalbe Marathon City Jet tyres and to be honest they were rubbish tyres with my weight, the sidewalls were very thin and even though I ran them at maximum stated pressure plus about 5% the side walls perished quite quickly before the actual tread of the tyre. I think I replaced them with some much cheaper Kenda tyres which I don't think I'm mistaken were about 3x the weight with thick strong sidewalls and those tyres were fantastic in comparison. They coped with my weight much better. I think I saw the same tyres or similar to them fitted to Buffalo bikes when I watched a video about those bikes in Africa. I think when you are heavier don't consider lightweight tyres is my advice. Lightweight is almost always a compromise in strength.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welp,

I went with Schwalbe Marathon Almotion // 40-622 (28x1,5") V-Guard. Hoping they are better tires. I didn't want to go to a full road setup tire, but IDK just hope they'll roll better with my fat butt in the saddle TBH.

hello and welcome to CC , as far as no one replying quickly i dont know where you are and all i can say is most of the members on here are UK based you so your 1st post shows up as 12.30 am monday so it might have got missed as other posts got piled on top ?
Anyway just keep doing little and often and you will soon be going further , and faster !

Last edited:
OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular
Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated!

While waiting for my new tires I'm focusing on making slow and steady progesss. 🐌 🐢 Slow and steady wins the race (life?) 🏁

Just broke 4 miles (forgot to record a ride in between these two) but the first one I was totally gassed. This time I felt much more relaxed and probably partly bc I didn't tire myself out and partly bc I am getting more fit and/or more experienced on the best gear to be in etc.

Wohoo anyway, for the most part sounds like I just need to keep on keeping on above all else. Still going to swap tires when they come in but going to TRY to not overthink the "small" stuff. Also everything is "small" stuff. Haha. Pretty sure that's a quote from a motivational speaker I saw as a kid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_100258_Zepp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_100258_Zepp.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240412_100236_Zepp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_100236_Zepp.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240412_100312_Zepp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_100312_Zepp.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5

All uphill

Still rolling along
If you're enjoying it you'll keep doing it; if you keep doing it you'll go further and get fitter. :okay:

ExBrit

Über Member
Once you start on longer rides you will need a bit more kit. Water bottle, flat repair kit, pump, that kind of stuff. Also need to know how to change a flat (although with Schwalbes that will be rare). Multi tool and chain tool and basic mech skills eventually. Once you can ride 20 miles you should start looking at your local club. It's not too soon to think about your first organized ride.

ExBrit

Über Member
Really? I'm not a member of a club and have no desire to join one. Done a few forum rides and informal rides with mates. The rest has been just me: commuting, errands or just exploring on my own.

If OP wants to, fine but I'd challenge "you should".

I'm not a member of a club either, but I looked around for one I liked.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular
Once you start on longer rides you will need a bit more kit. Water bottle, flat repair kit, pump, that kind of stuff. Also need to know how to change a flat (although with Schwalbes that will be rare). Multi tool and chain tool and basic mech skills eventually. Once you can ride 20 miles you should start looking at your local club. It's not too soon to think about your first organized ride.

Thanks, I got most of the stuff already. Seller included an innertube and I bought a pair more. Although I don't really need a water bottle yet, I carry one and it's nice to have "just in case". Similar story to some of the other stuff I have. A coworker gave me some tips on the small portable rechargeable air pump and what not. I also have a bit of an obsessive personality.

Water bottle ✅️
Extra inner tube's ✅️
Small rechargeable air pump ✅️
Bike small storage traignle bag ✅️
Tire levers ✅️
Quad lock phone mount ✅️

Ability to change a flat --untested but I've watched videos and swapping tires will be good pratice❓️
Flat repair kit --meh I have 3 new inner tubes🚫
Multi tool --will need eventually 🚫
Chain tool --will need eventually 🚫
Organized ride --I don't like people. 👎

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular
Really? I'm not a member of a club and have no desire to join one. Done a few forum rides and informal rides with mates. The rest has been just me: commuting, errands or just exploring on my own.

If OP wants to, fine but I'd challenge "you should".

Ye, I'm not a fan of people in general. Online ppl in forums = good. Real life people = not so good. Haha. I'm halfway joking, but only half. I do plan to ride with an old coworker/friend (old boss actually) and my son of course, but not sure I'll do big groups or clubs or anything, but you never know!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
multi tool can include a chain tool if you get the right one , as far as chains go i have never had one break on a ride although i have heard of people that have had one .Something to add to that is a quick link for the speed of chain you have to make rejoining a chain easy if you do have an issue .
Club riding ? not for everyone indeed .if your happy to ride on your own or with your your son thats great just enjoy it .If in the future you change your mind then there are many different sorts of club ranging from informal rides aimed at fun and good cafe stops to full on racing snakes and everything in-between in many sorts of bike types and terrain .
I started cycle commuting after a break form serious exercise after 1st kid was born and i was doing 2 days a week until i built up to everyday and i feel guilty if i miss a day , in fact people at work notice if im not on the bike :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom