Mountain bike or Gravel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I want to ride long distances and sometimes on bad road, should I buy mountain bike or gravel bike?
My budget is around 400 USD and I will probably buy a used one.

How rough of roads can a gravel bike handle?

Depends on your skills, I have raced both MTB and CX ( Cyclocross) a gravel bike is a CX bike with fatter tyres really, and maybe a slightly lower bottom bracket. I have seen people tackle MTB race course on CX bikes ( 33mm max tyre width) with drop offs etc .Would be easier with a fatter Gravel tyre. My 29er MTB hardtail is not much slower then my CX bike shod with Gravel tyres ( 40mm) long distance at speed on rough ground may be a bit more comfortable on a MTB with front suspension . Cant see you wil need full suspension if just distance riding.
For 400 USD I suspect the MTB will weigh a lot more than the Gravel bike of similar price.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Unless you are riding some serious off road trails with drops and rock gardens a gravel bike should be fine, they are designed to handle rough road surfaces. You can also put thinner slick tyres on it if you ride on better roads periodically.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A gravel bike without question. Pick up a mountain bike next time you have a chance, you'll see how heavy they are, which is fine on the flat but will slow you on the hills.
$400 is a bit light even used but might be possible if you scout around. Try yard sales and even thrift shops. I got a nice Specialized AWOL down here which came from the States for little money although I had to spend converting it from flat bars to drops as it should be. It's all steel and frame and fork.

PXL_20231121_170954045.jpg

Kingfisher101

Über Member
A lot depends on the tyres as well and personal preference.
You can get MTB tyres which are good for gravel etc, they are not all deep tread and front suspension locks out etc.
I think at your budget you may well have the options taken away from you as you'll be lucky to get a gravel bike even used for that. It will be a basic MTB you'll be looking at.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For $400 ?

Second hand, yes. You could get that weight over 20 years ago.

Top Bottom