Help with bike sizing - gravel bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

louf24

So I am wondering if anyone can help with bike sizing. I have ridden an old retro kona mountain bike for years and am now trying to decide between a M or L Genesis Croix de fer. I am just about in between sizes at 5'10.5. I have ridden both, my first feeling is that the L is very big, it feels huge, I can't reach the floor at all when sat on the saddle, and when standing over the bike, there is maybe just 1.5/2in standover height. I feel slightly like the handlebars are a little far away when riding but otherwise love it and it feels comfortable when riding. The M feels more 'normal' when I sit on it, bit more standover height, I can reach the floor slightly when on the saddle but when riding it, after only about 10 mins my wrists were hurting and I felt like I was riding on top of the front wheel, I can't really describe it but it felt a bit odd. I moved the saddle as far forward as it would go on the L which I'm not sure is advisable, but on the M felt like even with the saddle moved all the way back I was too close to the front wheel.

Can anyone offer any advice? I will be using the bike for commuting/cycle touring on mostly paved/light gravel paths.

Attachments

• 20240409_203310.jpg
    20240409_203310.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240409_202748.jpg
    20240409_202748.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 51

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You're not supposed to be able to plant your feet on the floor when seated. You should only be able to do that when you've slid forward off the saddle. Inch or so of stand over is fine.
The saddle could go up a bit so that your leg is straight or thereabouts with the pedal at six o'clock.
I'd say the med might suit you better.

rualexander

Legendary Member
The saddle could go up a bit so that your leg is straight or thereabouts with the pedal at six o'clock.

Disagree, leg should be straight with heel on pedal, not with forefoot on pedal.
Leg position looks about right on both bikes.

For a gravel bike I'd go with the medium in this case.
I'm 6'2" and have a Genesis Fugio 10 gravel bike in size L.

Venod

Eh up
I have this same problem at 5' 10" and 32" (trouser) inseam I can ride a medium or large in various manufactures ranges, I don't have any experience with the Croix De Fer, but I did have a Geneses Flyer in medium that was a good fit, I would go with the medium if I was choosing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd say medium. Can be down to body conditioning that you are feeling 'pressure' - have you ridden the bikes ? You look too upright on the larger bike. Leg position looks fine on both. Road/gravel bikes are very different to old skool MTB's, and even more different to modern MTB's, which are huge. You are shifting from flat bars to road bars which will feel different, and you'll also be more 'bent over'. I wouldn't go too big, especially on a gravel bike if you are going to use it off road.

OP
OP
L

louf24

Thanks for all your replies, so I've made sure the saddles are correct and moved them slightly more central. I've taken both bikes out again for a ride and just can't put my finger on what feels wrong. Overall the large one feels better but I do feel slightly stretched like maybe a shorter stem would solve the problem. I prefer the idea of the medium but when riding it feels so cramped and not sure how relevant it is for a bike fit but I can see the front wheel hub easily over the bars. Like I'm right on top of the wheel. I'm not sure what effect a longer stem would have and possibly a slightly more raised one. The medium blue also has different and more narrow handlebars which I'm not keen on.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You're the one that's got to ride it so go with the one that's most comfortable. You can always play around with stem and seat position.
I for one like to ride a bike which is slightly too large.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe it’s just not the right geometry for you. Look at other options. I had the same with the Whyte Friston I considered, one too big, one too small.

newts

Veteran
The slight bend in your elbow looks more comfortable on the medium. A pic with your left leg in the 9 o'clock position will help determine the fore/aft position of the saddle.

Top Bottom