Bike scrap parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GIZMO92

Hi I’m looking for bike scrap parts eg parts of a frame to build a coat rack. i have some old front forks that were bent in a bike accident that i want to use for the main hanging section and my old front buckled wheel but need to make the main stand for the coat rack but it needs more hight any ideas where i could get scrap bike parts from

biketrailerguy

any ideas where i could get scrap bike parts from
Hi - and if this is your first item made from bits 'o bike, welcome.
Re the question
Visit all local bike shops, ask if they do repairs - and if a positive answer (very likely)- enquire what they do with the scrap / bits they take off.
They'll ask why - if you've got something you've already made, good - show it to them and tell them what you're about / trying to do/make.
Since bike shops generally have to get rid of their scrap - they, in my experience, welcome anyone that'll help in that - especially if no £ involved.
If you're after *really* scrap items - ie those that visibly / obviously show signs of battle - tell them they'd be great - they'll invariably have a chortle, shake their heads in bewilderment, wonder what sort of nutter has just walked through their door - then return with some wonderfully mangled bit of junk that has immense creative potential.
I've no idea whether this is your first (of many) or only - item - but don't refuse anything offered if the former scenario - you never know when it'll come in handy.

Do everything possible to differentiate yourself from being yet another collector of scrap metal to weigh in at the scrappers for £.

Ask friends / family / neighbours - chances are they'll have some old wreck languishing in a shed / basement etc.

If you have scrap bods with vans / trucks etc visiting your area on a regular basis, ask them about what they have on their truck - £ inevitably involved, but they'll generally only get 'light iron' prices for any complete bikes because of the material mix - they're unlikely to separate parts.
Ring your local scrappers to get a current price /kg for such items - so you'll have a better idea whether the scrap bod is trying to stiff you.
If they're decent bods, and you want to continue with this, try to build a relationship - and, even better, give them some scrap.

Keep your eyes open - especially on bin empty days - householders still put things like bikes out for collection, even though the council won't collect. Check with owner if possible and snaffle before they change their mind - they're generally just glad to get rid of the darned thing.

Keep your eyes open #2 - abandoned in bushes / ditches etc.

Some means of carrying is obviously useful - trailer is great, of course.
Best of luck, and maybe a pic when you've done?
Many such items on the net, of course for future inspiration, rather than copying.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Depends where you live. , in my town there's often bikes been abandoned chained up, not far from me, a bike was chained up, wheels got nicked off it, it's been there 7 months!
Railway stns and other places you will find abandoned bikes.
Another source could be the recycling / waste ctr, an obvious place, but you will need to ask, at my local one , once they are left, the contractor owns them, and you will be challenged, many a savavble bike been dumped, but alas i couldnt save them.
One was an old Raleigh Superbe, full works chain case, roller rod brakes, even the key in the steering lock, it was really grimey but worth rescuing ,no chance.
Really sad !
Perhaps it was.

Hi I’m looking for bike scrap parts eg parts of a frame to build a coat rack. i have some old front forks that were bent in a bike accident that i want to use for the main hanging section and my old front buckled wheel but need to make the main stand for the coat rack but it needs more hight any ideas where i could get scrap bike parts from

Try the local bike recycling charity, but as above, make it clear you aren't after scrap to sell by weight; it's an income stream for us so we won't give it away.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Your local 'household waste recycling centre' should have plenty of what you need. It's not uncommon for them to have a separate (massive) skip for just bicycles. Equally not uncommon for them to leave the ones that are not complete garbage and offer them for £10-20.

Local bike charities are also usually overflowing with the kind of small bits that you mentioned.

biketrailerguy

make it clear you aren't after scrap to sell by weight; it's an income stream for us so we won't give it away.
Of the nine bike shops in town that I've visited over the years (some more frequently than others) they've all had scrap guys visit them to take the scrap away.
I suspect it's a toss up between volume (weight), storage space / scrap value / actually taking it to the scrappers etc and convenience - and - just maybe - cash transactions no longer being allowed?

I also forgot the charity shop on the same site as the council recycling centre. Having established that the staff would put items they couldn't sell / no longer wanted - behind the shop, next stop the scrap metal bin - I'd check said location on a regular basis.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

biketrailerguy

'twas also one of the local LBS I visited - good and helpful experience. Young guy at the counter called an older guy and all went swimmingly after that. Showed older guy some items and he ended up giving me the OK to rummage through their bin (take disposable gloves* / carrier bags?) - left me to it, then came back waving some Carbon Blade forks at me and asked 'any good mate?'
Thanked him, and left after a bit more chat - with a 'come back anytime' ...
Said forks have been part of an uplighter upstand / stem for a while now.

Btw, only place I've drawn a blank is Evans - saying their policy is to send all scrap back to the mothership / depot. Apologetic and fine about it, but 'them's the rules, pal'

* I've come across more than one example of gear - especially cassettes - that look as if GQT panellists have been growing tomatoes in them.

Top Bottom