Advice for Frank Spencer and his new road bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
To take this thread on s slight tangent...

How far out from the kerb do you ride? If you are in the gutter you will be on first name terms with the P fairy.

If you ride more towards 24-36 inches out then you are on the cleaner road, and also I found it safer for 2 reasons (well documented on this site)

1- Cars tend not to squeeze passed if you are holding your ground. (Use sensibly and allow them to pass when you feel its safe - good karma and all that)

2- If you are riding 24-36 inches out and someone does put a squeeze on you then you have 24-36 inches of space to go into. If you are already in the gutter then you have nowhere to go.

OP
OP
Jaye

Jaye

Veteran
To take this thread on s slight tangent...

How far out from the kerb do you ride? If you are in the gutter you will be on first name terms with the P fairy.

No I'm not a kerb hugger at all. I believe you can be arrested for such behaviour :blush:.

PaulSecteur

No I'm not a kerb hugger at all. :blush:.

I have found Michelin krylions and their replacement, the pro4 endurance to be good for the mean streets of Wolverhampton. If I were to go to "That there London" I think would try the Durano Plus. Not as tough as the Marathons, but I would rather fix a few punctures than have tyres that make a race bike feel like a tank. Especially for the summer months.

OP
OP
Jaye

Jaye

Veteran
I have found Michelin krylions and their replacement, the pro4 endurance to be good for the mean streets of Wolverhampton. If I were to go to "That there London" I think would try the Durano Plus. Not as tough as the Marathons, but I would rather fix a few punctures than have tyres that make a race bike feel like a tank. Especially for the summer months.

Yup heard plenty of good about the Krylions but the replacement p4 endurance not so ie.http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-endurance-folding-road-tyre/

PaulSecteur

You can waste a huuuge amount of time reading tyre reviews... Been there, done that!

Even on a well moderated, sensible forum like this you can get both poles of opinion. Looking for reviews on t`intercobweb will just send you on a loop of looking for reviews, reading recommendations, checking out the reviews for the recommendations, reading another review with a recommendation that has to be checked out....

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I like both the Conti gatorskins and 4 seasons, and the Bontragers are good, also. Everybody likes a certain tire for their own reasons. There are many poles of opinion about tires, mainly running between weight vs. protection, and high cost versus low cost, and low tread versus high tread.

OP
OP
Jaye

Jaye

Veteran
Decision made I'm gonna give the Conti 4 seasons a bash. And also give myself some p******* repair practice (in the warmth of my living room). All I need to decide now is 25's or 28's :wacko:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would be careful about ordering 28's for a Specialized Allez until you have looked into clearance. Generally most regular road bikes run 23's or 25's.

Top Bottom