Advice for Frank Spencer and his new road bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaye

Veteran
I currently ride a Spesh Hybrid I use the bike for my daily commute, which is only 4 miles round the potholed/glass strewn streets of East London. I also do a 9 mile 'keep fit' :sweat: ride 3-5 times a week (takes about 42mins). I also fit in the occasional 20-30 miler, and will be joining a local club to start going further. Within 15 miles of getting the bike the other year I got a p******* and so fitted it with Schwalbe marathon plus tyres, a right :cursing: to fit but not a sniff of a p******* after 2000+ miles which has been a godsend as I'm kind of a Frank Spencer (Google it young uns) figure when it comes to repairs/mechanics etc.

Anyway now I have decided to ditch the Hybrid, man up and get a road bike, I have got a good deal on a Spesh Allez sport 2013 carbon fork Sora groupset jobbie through C2W. Now hear is my dilemna; I know the Marathon plus's should again be a no brainer for a cack-handed simpleton with no puncture repair skills. But I have the obvious niggle of should I really be putting these beasts on a really nice bike (in its price range). So I begin yet another tyres thread (I had to pop my cherry at some time) for the good people of CC to please give me their much appreciated replies.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Whilst puncture protection is a subjective area, Continental 4 Seasons offer pretty good protection without the marathon+ performance penalty. See also Armadillos and Gatorskins.

I've got the armadillos and fitted them about 150 miles ago and i was pulling some horrible looking thorns and stones out of them earlier, they get my vote.

ewan87

another option is a thing called wheelgoo, which can be put in to road bike tyres. not sure how good it is but it could be worth you looking in to.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I use Marathon Plus on the tourer/commuter and Armadillo on the road/weekend bike.

mattobrien

Guru
I had Conti 4 seasons on my Allez all winter without suffering a puncture. I have now switched over to Conti GP 4000 s for the spring / summer / autumn. I ran the 4000 s for all of last year without a puncture too.

Maybe I am lucky in the fact that I don't ride road strewn with broken glass and other associated sharp and puncture inducing things.

Possibly worth having a bit of a practice as to how to take a tyre off and fix a theoretical puncture in the safe confines of home. Much better to work out the fit technique for you I comfort rather than on the roadside.

Kies

Gatorskins for me. Been lucky with no visits,but then again London is relatively clear of p fairy litter

wakou

Über Member
If you are buying the Spesh new, ask the shop to fit Aramdilloes for you, they might do so for free...

OP
OP
Jaye

Jaye

Veteran
I have driven myself mad (Mad I tell you!) reading lots of reviews on all the tyres mentioned here (and a few more for good measure). Obviously there's no such thing as a 100% p******* proof tyre but the Marathon plus definitely appears to be the closest thing to it. I suppose ultimately the question is do I want to go faster by using better less resistant tyres? Am I subconsciously trying to beat rule #10 this way :scratch:? Was I breast fed as a child? (Mad I tell you!)

Possibly worth having a bit of a practice as to how to take a tyre off and fix a theoretical puncture in the safe confines of home. Much better to work out the fit technique for you I comfort rather than on the roadside.

This is something I have debated also, so cheers Matt. Maybe set myself a target of changing the tyre 3 times in an evening before I'm allowed supper :hungry: Worst comes to the worst I lose some paunch.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Marathons are the bees knees for puncture protection but are a heavier tyre, most of the tyres suggested over a good compromise between weight/rolling resistance and protection.You can get thin , fast rolling tyres but in general they have less protection so you have to decide what you want from a tyre.
I personally use gator skins for commuting and i find they offer a good balance, i get maybe 1 flat every 1000 miles but it obviously depends on the roads you ride and how fastidious you are at checking the tyres for debris as most of my flats tend to be glass shards from a cycle path that have worked their way in.
Also i would get betty to follow behind in the morris minor as a support car ^_^

Top Bottom