1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from the ladies required, please

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by Gerry Attrick, 15 Mar 2008.

1. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Mrs Attrick has finally decided she wants a road bike after struggling away on her hybrid for long enough. Now she won't be doing any racing, but does want to cover up to 40 miles fairly quickly a couple of times a week. The thing is, she is 5ft nowt in her cycling shoes, so given a budget of say £1500, what bike would the ladies recommend, based on their experiences of their own mounts?

All who respond will be treated to a virtual cup of tea and biskits at LOtP's emporium.

2. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Try lots of bikes to find one that fits.

At 5ft, she may require a women-specific frame.

I have two Bianchi bikes. As I'm a bit taller than Mrs Attrick, I don't have a women-specific frame. But I do like THIS, even if it does have ShimaNO! on it :blush:

Things to consider...

Will it require mudguards? Rear rack? That sort of thing. On a pure road bike you can usually fit raceblades and sick on one of THESE with a bag from the range to fit. I have this on my Bianchi road bike and it works well.

3. Plax

Plax Veteran

I've always gone for a frame with "female fit geometory". Apparently women have longer legs and shorter arms then their male counterparts. I suppose this is partly true as I'm only 5 ft 7 and have a 32" inside leg. But then I don't think I have particularly short arms either given that It's really annoying trying to find a top that fits with the right arm length. I could easily use a male bike but I'm rather partial to the dropped downtube and the colour pink.
    It's worth trying out a few bikes for size with Mrs Attrik - given her smaller stature she might have difficulty getting her leg over (sorry couldn't resist!) a male bike frame.

4. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

You are me, and I claim my five pounds!

Mind you, I don't have any problems with supposedly 'male-specific' frames - arm length or getting my leg over (ooh-err!) :blush:

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

My wife is 5'0" and she has a Spesh Sequoia which she loves but they don't do them any more, I think. She struggled to get a tourer to fit so we're having one built as we speak. For £1500 your wife could get a custom fitted and made road bike

6. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Thanks for the replies. Mrs A has fallen in love again, this time with a Giant TCR C W. Thing is she got it at a brilliant price complete with full Ultegra groupset. This is just not on, its a better spec than my bike!

7. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

Ah but isn't that good ... you know when you next "need" a new bike ... you have set a new benchmark!:biggrin:

8. trio25

trio25 Über Member

Glad she has found a bike she loves. I'm 5'3" and found a women's specific bike was the way to go for me. I have just got a spesh ruby and I love it.

9. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

I hope she enjoys it, sounds very nice!

The lovely Baggy has a standard framed Pearson Audax, but with a judicious change of saddle and a shorter stem, voila, a bike to fit a bird classy lady! :thumbsup:

There aren't many measurements and dimensions that can't be changed with a few minor component changes and a reasonable lbs will accommodate those if they want the sale.