Advice from the ladies required, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Mrs Attrick has finally decided she wants a road bike after struggling away on her hybrid for long enough. Now she won't be doing any racing, but does want to cover up to 40 miles fairly quickly a couple of times a week. The thing is, she is 5ft nowt in her cycling shoes, so given a budget of say £1500, what bike would the ladies recommend, based on their experiences of their own mounts?

All who respond will be treated to a virtual cup of tea and biskits at LOtP's emporium.

wafflycat

Try lots of bikes to find one that fits.

At 5ft, she may require a women-specific frame.

I have two Bianchi bikes. As I'm a bit taller than Mrs Attrick, I don't have a women-specific frame. But I do like THIS, even if it does have ShimaNO! on it :blush:

Things to consider...

Will it require mudguards? Rear rack? That sort of thing. On a pure road bike you can usually fit raceblades and sick on one of THESE with a bag from the range to fit. I have this on my Bianchi road bike and it works well.

Plax

Guru
I've always gone for a frame with "female fit geometory". Apparently women have longer legs and shorter arms then their male counterparts. I suppose this is partly true as I'm only 5 ft 7 and have a 32" inside leg. But then I don't think I have particularly short arms either given that It's really annoying trying to find a top that fits with the right arm length. I could easily use a male bike but I'm rather partial to the dropped downtube and the colour pink.
It's worth trying out a few bikes for size with Mrs Attrik - given her smaller stature she might have difficulty getting her leg over (sorry couldn't resist!) a male bike frame.

wafflycat

Plax said:
I've always gone for a frame with "female fit geometory". Apparently women have longer legs and shorter arms then their male counterparts. I suppose this is partly true as I'm only 5 ft 7 and have a 32" inside leg. But then I don't think I have particularly short arms either given that It's really annoying trying to find a top that fits with the right arm length. I could easily use a male bike but I'm rather partial to the dropped downtube and the colour pink.
It's worth trying out a few bikes for size with Mrs Attrik - given her smaller stature she might have difficulty getting her leg over (sorry couldn't resist!) a male bike frame.

You are me, and I claim my five pounds!

Mind you, I don't have any problems with supposedly 'male-specific' frames - arm length or getting my leg over (ooh-err!) :blush:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My wife is 5'0" and she has a Spesh Sequoia which she loves but they don't do them any more, I think. She struggled to get a tourer to fit so we're having one built as we speak. For £1500 your wife could get a custom fitted and made road bike

trio25

Über Member
Glad she has found a bike she loves. I'm 5'3" and found a women's specific bike was the way to go for me. I have just got a spesh ruby and I love it.

I hope she enjoys it, sounds very nice!

The lovely Baggy has a standard framed Pearson Audax, but with a judicious change of saddle and a shorter stem, voila, a bike to fit a bird classy lady! :thumbsup:

There aren't many measurements and dimensions that can't be changed with a few minor component changes and a reasonable lbs will accommodate those if they want the sale.

Top Bottom