Advice/help old raleigh 3 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sully992

sully992

Regular
Give it a try with the rims. What's the worse that could happen? Hehe

The brakes are already "interesting" so I'm sure they can't any worse and your ride will be individual too!! Thumbs up all round I say!

I seem to be gathering projects at an alarming rate :ohmy:

Got three on the go now!!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
why what other projects have you got @sully992 ?

OP
OP
sully992

sully992

Regular
I'm making / refinishing? A cruiser style single speed for the wife's Xmas pressie and I'm making myself a single speed that I have some nice plans for.
Add to that my old raleigh "find" and my garage is pretty full of bike bits.

I've also got two BMX's that need my attention but they're at the bottom of the list so I suppose you could say I've 5 projects?? Haha :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
It is worth noting that Fibrax still make the "raincheater" leather faced brake blocks which can improve braking in the rain. I think the braking on chrome rims in the wet can be perfectly acceptable with leather or hard rubber block pads if the rim has plain smooth braking surfaces but many have a sort of dimpled finish and they are often terrible.

Surface rust can actually improve braking but be wary of any rough rust "blisters" which will tear the brake pads to shreds in a few miles.

There is actually one advantage of steel rims in winter riding - they do not end up covered in black gunge so if you need to fix a puncture, you can do so and keep your hands reasonably clean.

The back rim of any Sturmey equipped bike can very easily end up coated in oil which will leave the brake useless no matter what the rim is made from. Always wipe off the excess oil after topping up the hub, but rub the oily rag lightly around the hub shell to prevent rust.

Top Bottom