Advice needed - cycling London to Reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twiglet

Hi.

Need to get to Reading (from West London) for something and thinking it would be nice to cycle the 30-odd miles if poss.

Has anyone does this ? Can you cycle on the A4 the whole way and if so do you take your life in your own hands by doing so?

Many thanks in advance.

david1701

not really the right section for this...... maybe general?

personally at 30 miles I'd be happy to lengthen the trip by taking smaller roads instead of a big one with lots of traffic

frank9755

Cyclist
If you're not in a hurry the Sustrans Thames route (4 I think) is lovely.

The A4 is not too bad but not exactly fun. I've not cycled the whole length of it so can't say that there aren't bad sections. I'm sure a bit of map work could identify a decent back-road alternative.

Norm

Most of the A4 isn't too bad but there are many alternatives. For instance, Sustrans route 4, as mentioned, or river to Staines, A308 to Windsor, B3024 to Twyford then A4 into town.

Trickydicky

Bikeroutetoaster your route around the A4 not the most fun of roads to ride on, and some lovely little villages on the way to reading that you would pass if not goin on the A4.
There is probroably a shorter route than using the A4 due to the fact is isnt straight from Heathrow to reading, it goes north a little.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Once past Slough the A4's okay, quite a nice road in fact. For a simple route you could either go via Uxbridge and Iver, which dumps you in Slough, or old Bath Road through Colnbrook, then Horton, Datchet, etc.

Top Bottom